1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Introduction & a Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 02:45 PM
stephen44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction & a Question

Hi there, I'm Stephen and am a Brit living in VA - but that is not the problem

Just bought a 1999 4x4 Durango to pull behind my pusher RV. Now before you all jump on me - the handbook tells me I can do this with both transmissions in neutral - so do Dodge - and I've spoken to two people who do this already - and Remco the towing people agree - so I am good here. I need such a large toad - as my wife is in a wheelchair and we need to carry that - so options are limited - just no mountains in my future

Since I won't be doing a high driving or towing mileage I found a nice but tired looking 1999 base model with 3rd row seating - no rust - great paint - just worn out interior - and 180,000 miles on it - test drove ok and got it for a reasonable price - the dealer replaced the condenser and heater core for me - so that job is out of the way.

Only problem I have - that I need to fix immediately - that I did not find on the test drive - is that having driven it 2 hours home - is that there is a graunching growling noise coming from the steering pump/steering box area. It gets worse on full lock. In the morning when the engine was cold again - the noise is not there - the fluid looks new and is at the right level (Guess the dealer knew about this and already tried that - car has no warranty and for the price I got it for - I am fine with that) - I checked cold and hot. Once the car heats up - the noise returns.

What is the likeliest cause of this - the pump or the gear box ? - I'm suspecting the pump - but bow to the greater knowledge here.

thanks and you all have a great forum here (I guess in VA it should be y'all or something) - I'm sure I am going to be spending a lot of time here.

P.S. - looking for a good set of grey mist electric (well i guess manual would do & swap the cushions over) front seats - the foam is all torn away

Stephen
1999 Durango Toad.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:49 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

welcome!

Does it only make noise while you're moving the wheel or does it keep making the noise if you hold the wheel still? If it's making noise while you hold the wheel still, it's probably the power steering pump.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not even going to go into the towing methodology that you have interprited, but I will say this, DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I will say most likely it is the pump and they might have used the wrong fluid. See in 1998-1999 the PS systems used either a red fluid or brown fluid. Only a dealership can tell you which one to use by using your VIN number. Most likely it is the Brown power steering fluid and you can only get it at a dealer.

If they put regular fluid in it could cause failure of the pump or box.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:33 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

Welcome to DF

Old 08-12-2012, 03:19 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome to the boards. Towing not on a trailer is riskier no matter what vehicle its just how it is. Now the noise is more than likely the pump as hydra explained. Now as far as the seats are concerned the foam is the same whether it powered, or driver vs. passenger. The only difference is that the powered seats had a hole cut out for the power controls. What I would do is find foam out of two non powered passenger seats as the passenger seat is generally used less so the foam should be in better condition, thats what I did and I don't regret it.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:52 AM
stephen44

Didn't have a chance to test the power steering this weekend -as it does not do it at cold - will try soon and report back.

thanks for all the welcomes and good advice so far !

Stephen

Old 08-19-2012, 08:57 AM
stephen44

well - I've only driven the car on short trips - 20 minutes or less - and the steering hardly makes a noise at all....I left it idling for an hour - and then drove and no difference.

Do you think it had air in it where the dealer changed the fluid and did not bleed fully - that is all i can think ....

I am going to wait and see what happens as the car will have such a low mileage put on it...thanks for all the help for now. I am going ahead and changing the gearbox fluid & filter and xfer case fluids - the gearbox seems fine - should I try the band adjustment - or just leave well alone?

Stephen

Old 08-19-2012, 10:07 AM
noman
Professional

If you do the bands. Don't forget the torque is in.lbs not ft.lbs.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:43 PM
stephen44

Originally Posted by noman
If you do the bands. Don't forget the torque is in.lbs not ft.lbs.
yup - noticed that and am looking for a wrench at the moment .

thanks

Stephen

Quick Reply: Introduction & a Question