Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case info needed

I finally got the new D home this morning. As a refresher:

1999 Durango
5.9L 46RE
242D transfer case

Here is what it's doing:

Sometimes it will go straight into drive and reverse with no problems at all. Then out of the blue, it won't move at all. When this happens, it doesn't want to go back into park, but wants to grind.
If I put it in Neutral, and move the transfer case through the 4wd selections, it wants to grind slightly. Then put the xfer case back to 2wd, shift the tranny to park (if I go slowly the grinding slows down and Park engages) and shift the xfer case again, with no grinding. Then, when I shift to drive or reverse, it goes right into gear again, but won't stay very long.

So, I drained the transfer case. I measured the fluid and got exactly 1 quart of dark, nearly maroon/black fluid...and these:

Name:  xferpic.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  31.3 KB

Something is terribly wrong here. There is what appears to be the remnants of a rubber seal, along with several pieces of plastic. Obviously, a rebuild is in order, but can anyone ID what part the plastic pieces came from?

I'm dropping the tranny pan next.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:35 AM
MontyJ
Rookie

I managed to remove some more pieces through the drain hole of the transfer case. I'll post pics later, but I can already identify what they are. A few pieces are the remnants of a seal of some sort, along with a pretty good sized piece of what can only be a thrust washer.

I drained the tranny pan. No debris, but I think someone had the pan off recently. Most of the bolts were finger tight, except for 4 on the corners. The magnet had a thick coating of clutch mud so I don't think they cleaned it. There were no metal pieces at all, so possibly some good news there.

I can't seem to find any documentation on the 242D. Could someone point me somewhere? Also, what, if any, other transfer cases would work with this D?

Old 08-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MontyJ
I can't seem to find any documentation on the 242D
Probably because it is a NV242 transfer case

Old 08-26-2012, 11:44 AM
MontyJ
Rookie

What does the NV stand for? All I saw on the round tag on the case was Model: "242 D"

Never mind, I got it NV= New Venture

Last edited by MontyJ; 08-26-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Transfer case info needed