1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

play in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 04:34 PM
hemi_newman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default play in steering wheel

I have excess slop in my steering wheel from like 11 to 1 o'clock. Whats wrong? I have a 98 5.2

Old 08-26-2012, 06:07 PM
cummingetit
Professional

I know this is common on the rams but not sure about the d. Where the steering box bolts to the frame gets very sloppy and causes play. Not sure if durangos do this. Your joint in the steering shaft has a rubber joint in it. Could check that, loose tie rods? Not sure but thats a couple things id look at.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 08-26-2012, 07:57 PM
hemi_newman
Rookie

tie rods were new about 25,000 miles ago...

Old 08-26-2012, 11:35 PM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hemi_newman
I have excess slop in my steering wheel from like 11 to 1 o'clock. Whats wrong? I have a 98 5.2
My guess is your gearbox if wearing out

Old 08-28-2012, 11:30 PM
laz45
Veteran

intermediate steering shaft at the bottom of your steering column....look under the hood for the short steering column extension between the lower column and gearbox,have someone slightly turn the steering and watch the 2 little ujoints on the saft for excess play....

Old 08-29-2012, 03:42 AM
krupaeric
Veteran

yes the durangos and the rams were known for the gear boxes being sloppy after time. and some time the death wobble! but yes check your u joints on your steering column and have someone turn the wheel back and forth and watch your pitman arm under the gear box if its not moving when someone is turning your steering wheel. its most likely going to be your gear box. go to rockauto.com and follow the directions. under the selection steering you will see gear box, at the bottom of the list is a option to send yours in to be rebuilt its only $98 but you pay for shipping. it is still alot cheaper than the other options. cuz this way there is no core charge. also rock auto is a great place to purchase parts for the durango. cheap and fast shipping.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:03 PM
hemi_newman
Rookie

ok thanks

Old 08-29-2012, 11:11 PM
srch4me
All Star

Originally Posted by krupaeric
yes the durangos and the rams were known for the gear boxes being sloppy after time. and some time the death wobble! but yes check your u joints on your steering column and have someone turn the wheel back and forth and watch your pitman arm under the gear box if its not moving when someone is turning your steering wheel. its most likely going to be your gear box. go to rockauto.com and follow the directions. under the selection steering you will see gear box, at the bottom of the list is a option to send yours in to be rebuilt its only $98 but you pay for shipping. it is still alot cheaper than the other options. cuz this way there is no core charge. also rock auto is a great place to purchase parts for the durango. cheap and fast shipping.
Just had them do mine. Cost about 40 to shop but they did wonderful work on the rebuild

Old 08-30-2012, 12:43 AM
srch4me
All Star

Originally Posted by krupaeric
Just had them do mine. Cost about 40 to shop but they did wonderful work on the rebuild

Old 08-31-2012, 02:20 PM
tank99Dango
Professional

I too had the 11-2 oclock play. Just make sure you know if you have a gear box, or rack and pinion..the intermediate shaft is different. I went to a local junk yard, took one off a 98 for $8...no more play...make sure if you do it yourself, secure the steering wheel, don't want it to spin and ruin the clock spring, but it's only 2 bolts, one at the steering column inside the cab, and the one attached to the gear box(if that's what you have). Take the bolt at the gear box all the way off....took me about 10 minutes to do it,

Quick Reply: play in steering wheel