1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

camshaft replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 06:12 AM
krupaeric
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camshaft replacement.

as everyone know with age comes wear, and with wear comes a drop in power. i want to know how complicated it is to replace a camshaft on the 5.2. and if its possible to do i a few days what all should i get? camshaft, lifters rods, springs, timing chain and gears? or just a new cam? any sugguestions?

Old 09-01-2012, 12:39 PM
lvphotos
Veteran

Hugest Racing. Com. Give yourself a day for teardown and a day put together. If your in the engine I would replace anything with wear. New pushrods for new lift. Rollers lifters might be OK but why chance it. New chain. Water pump since its off. Plenum fix or new intake from Hughes. New hoses would be good too.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:42 PM
lvphotos
Veteran

Good time to flush radiator. New belt. Thermostat. If your going to make a mess get it all at once.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:35 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

would it be best instead of just trying to order a stock replacement, to call them and talk to a rep who is knowledgeable and who could hook me up with a better cam for a little more performance, and possibly set me up with a kit or something, like rods lifters and a cam. im not trying to spend to much due to next spring im going to be building a 5.9 408 stroker. or maybee should i just live with what i got for now and start purchasing parts for my build. also a coworker of mine told me about comp cams, and how if you give them specs of what you want to try to build and what your vehicle has they can set you up with a package deal specific to your needs, and you actually talk to a rep who is highly knowledgeable. im stuck between a rock and a hard place to many decisions to make. lol.
i need some help!!!

Old 09-05-2012, 06:56 AM
lvphotos
Veteran

Why bother if your building another motor? Call Hughes racing. They deal with Mopar engine and they have everything for a stroker and have a intake replacement. There are dyno results and all.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:41 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

if you are planning a build in the near future (i think the spring qualifies) i would just live with what you got as long as it still runs and start buying parts for the build

Old 09-05-2012, 11:26 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

I called hughes today to check on kit prices! and got an account set up with them. but ugh!!! $3,200!!!! for the kit i need.but that includes a dbl 52mm throttle body a cam timing chain kit distributer and a kit for the tranny. but i wasnt able to find one of there intake manifolds that would work. and im looking around for one that allows for fuel injection. not carburated. all of there manifolds eliminate the fuel injectors, and you have to switch to either throttle body injection, or carburated. so that was a bummer. even all of edelbrocks manifolds eliminate fuel injectors. so im putting money aside each paycheck and after i get my tax returns in the spring ill get me that kit. oh and i also need to find a beefed torque converter. perferably not one that cost 1300. the ones im finding that will work for my set up arent cheap. monster has a few but there all outragiously priced. id just rather pull a 5 speed off of a dakota and switch my d from a automatic to a manual. ahh thats a new thread!

Quick Reply: camshaft replacement.