1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Replacing o2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012 | 03:07 PM
jmess
|
Veteran
Default Replacing o2 sensor

Is there any tricks to replacing an o2 sensor? My pre cat sensor needs to be replaced and it's rediculously seized. should I just buy one of the sockets made for o2 sensors with the slot cut in it for the wires?

Old 09-10-2012 | 05:52 PM
pkucan
Professional

Originally Posted by jmess
Is there any tricks to replacing an o2 sensor? My pre cat sensor needs to be replaced and it's rediculously seized. should I just buy one of the sockets made for o2 sensors with the slot cut in it for the wires?
Soak it a few times with PB Blaster or Kroil. It needs time to work its magic. It took me only one time to realize the special socket is well worth it. Don't forget to unhook the wires first.

Old 09-10-2012 | 06:48 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jmess

Good luck... had the same issue this spring.. even soaking it in PB blaster or heating it would break it.. ended up replacing the entire Y pipe.

Old 09-11-2012 | 03:20 AM
jmess
|
Veteran

i soaked it a few times but my short temper got the best of me. my fear is having to replace the y-pipe like old school said. i actually went beyond everything i believe in and called a shop today to see what they would want to remove it and install the one i have. they told me $100 and wanted to know when i could come in. instantly hung up on them

Old 09-27-2012 | 01:32 AM
jmess
|
Veteran

so its been a while and i started work on removing it again yesterday. rented the tool for 02 sensors and still couldnt get it out. tried heating it, soaking it, everything. in the morning i have a buddy coming over and what were gonna do is chop out that section of pipe and weld in a new piece and drill a hole and weld a new bung on. seems to be the cheapest and easiest route at his point without going to a shop. ill let you guys know how it goes and post some pics as well

Quick Reply: Replacing o2 sensor