1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

02 durango tail lights problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012 | 06:20 PM
Zach Beebe
|
Default 02 durango tail lights problem

i have a problem. awhile ago the tail lights and dashlights went out. checked the blubs fine check the fuse had to change it. and they went again. i asked a few ppl about it and everyone says its most likely a exposed wire but don't really know where to look.

Old 09-13-2012 | 06:40 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Zach Beebe
i have a problem. awhile ago the tail lights and dashlights went out. checked the blubs fine check the fuse had to change it. and they went again. i asked a few ppl about it and everyone says its most likely a exposed wire but don't really know where to look.

Sorry to say but the only way to know for sure is to start tracing wires and look for issues..

Old 09-14-2012 | 07:50 AM
MontyJ
Rookie

First, go here http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ytjdagjhtyk and download the wiring manual. You will need it to follow these directions. Since I don’t know what year your D is, your wiring may be different, but should be pretty close.

You will need a test meter (not just a test light, but an actual meter capable of testing resistance).

First, with the key and headlight switch both off, remove fuse 14 and meter both sides to ground. This should be open. If you read a short to ground the problem is between the headlamp switch and the fuse box.

You can remove connector C247 P. 8W-90-16 fig 16 (located behind driver side instrument panel) and open splice S313 P. 8W-95-12 fig. 18. Meter for ground between the wires coming FROM the front of the vehicle to ground at S313. If you read a ground there, use the following steps to break it down:

According to the schematic I have, you can isolate the tail lights from the equation by opening splice S310 P. 8W-95-12 fig. 18 (wires should be BK/YL) located under the left quarter trim panel along the D post upright. Also open splice 313 same page and figure (wires should be BK) located ion the same area). With the fuse still out, meter the BK/YL wires going TO the tail light assemblies against ground. If there is a ground, the problem lies between splice 310 and 313. You have to open splice 313 before doing this test because the splice provides a ground path through the tail lamps. There is no need to check for ground at 313 because these wires should have a ground present. If there is no ground present at S310 going TO the tail lights, the problem is ahead of S310. Reassemble splice 313, but leave splice 310 open for now.
Remove connector C247 P. 8W-90-16 fig 16 (located behind driver side or instrument panel). Meter wires to ground at S310 coming FROM front of vehicle. If there is a ground, the short is between C247 and S310. If there is no ground, reassemble splice S310 and rear quarter trim.

Remove connector C1 from headlight switch. Meter C247 pin 12 to ground. If ground is present, the short is between the headlight switch and C247. This would be a bad place for a short because the associated wiring is behind the dash and would be a nightmare to get into.

If all of the above checks out OK, the short is in the instrument cluster circuitry. I can break that down for you as well if you need it.

Quick Reply: 02 durango tail lights problem