1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

200K and new problems...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:15 PM
durango360
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 200K and new problems...

Well, a couple months ago I reached that magical milestone, 200,000 miles on my 2000 Durango 5.9 4x4. Only 4 radiators and 1 tranny replaced. I believe the last 3 radiators failed because they were plastic POS items.. I'll leave that one alone for now. Anyway, new problem is that my harmonic balancer decided it didn't feel like doing its job anymore and retired itself on me at 203K.

Any tips/tricks I should know before I dive into this? I already purchased a new pulley/balancer. I found the bolt size (1 1/4" /32mm ) and I will be renting a puller to remove the old one. Whats the best method/way to install the new one? I don't want to hammer the new one on. Can I use the center bolt to "pull" it on?

By the way.... normally do all of my own work but due to a recent relocation ( now live in Texas again.... home sweet home!!!) I had a mechanic do a little work for me (tools were packed and in transit). I asked him about the vibration I was starting to feel, his words when I asked him to take a look at the balancer...... "nope, can't be that, its solid steel. It won't fail on you...." I am thinking about sending him the old one after I remove it. Anyway, I just wanted to vent a little with this last paragraph.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:55 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just had mine done at 238k. May as well do the timing chain at the same time since you are in there. My HB had the seal working it's way out the side. I was very comfortable with knowing the time had came to replace. Runs much smoother. No complaints other than it costs me $1700ish.

IndyDurango

Old 09-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Compactc9
Veteran

Originally Posted by durango360
"nope, can't be that, its solid steel. It won't fail on you...."
Its actually 2 pieces held together with a rubber part. As you and others here know it can definitely fail!

Old 10-14-2012, 11:22 AM
durango360
Rookie

Just thought I would give an update here. The situation I was in didn't allow me to change out the timing chain or dive deeper into this job.... but as far as changing the harmonic balancer, it was a snap. Took me about 30-45 minutes from start to finish. My tools are in storage since I just moved, so I rented a puller and a breaker bar from the local parts house. I had to purchase the socket ( 1 1/4" ). The balancer was $65. I used a tie down ratchet strap to keep the crank from rotating (strap ran through the open area of the pulley/balancer and then around the frame...). The old balancer came right off with the puller. The snout looked good and smooth so I positioned the new balancer on the shaft and used the bolt to pull the new balancer on. Installed the belt and away we go.....

Like I said, not sure if anyone will need this info, but its here if anyone does.

Quick Reply: 200K and new problems...