1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Replaced PCM & CPS, still shuts down

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 02:47 PM
t_johnson44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Replaced PCM & CPS, still shuts down

I've replaced the PCM and CPS on my 2000 5.9 Durango. Apparently they went bad at the same time. Coincidence? Anyway, I experienced my vehicle shutting down while driving down the road (multiple times) prior to replacing these. Got these replaced and figured that it fixed my shut down issue. It did not. The next day it shut down on me again. I swapped my shut down relay with my A/C relay but that didn't help. What else could it be? All opinions will be taken into consideration. Thanks.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:14 AM
Gafn

How does it shut down...?

Rumble and stumble like it is running out of fuel, or an instant off - like you hit the key?

Need to determine if it is fuel related, or electronics related...

Are you throwing any codes?

What does the Tach do when this happens?

After is shuts off - does it restart normally, or is it difficult to re-start?

Besides the PCM and CPS have you made any other changes to the electronics recently? like a big audio system?

We need more information to help you figure this out...

Old 09-27-2012, 05:03 PM
t_johnson44

Originally Posted by Gafn
How does it shut down...?

Rumble and stumble like it is running out of fuel, or an instant off - like you hit the key?

Need to determine if it is fuel related, or electronics related...

Are you throwing any codes?

What does the Tach do when this happens?

After is shuts off - does it restart normally, or is it difficult to re-start?

Besides the PCM and CPS have you made any other changes to the electronics recently? like a big audio system?

We need more information to help you figure this out...
Gafn, It acts like I shut it off. After it shuts down it starts right back up without hesitation. The Tach drops gradually. My check engine comes on after I restart it but turns off on the following restart. I put new speakers in it one year ago but nothing fancy. I just replaced the factory 2-way speakers with 3-way. I haven't taken it anywhere to check for codes. Also, does anyone know where I can get a code scanner without breaking the bank? Thank you.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Gafn

This does not sound like a fuel delivery issue...

Because the PCM and the CPS have been replaced - I am leaning towards another sensor that is sending a bad signal to the PCM, and the PCM is sending a shutdown signal...

BTW - I have a 2000 D as well, and you do not need a code reader for hard codes... Anything that will turn on the light is a hard code.

Insert the key into the ignition, turn it forward but do not start - do this 3 times in a row, and look at the odometer window....

Your codes will be displayed there - PXXXX, and so on, you may have more than one code. When the computer is done reading codes it will show P_done.

The next time this shuts down and you get a Check Engine Light - please capture the codes. I think we are simply down to a bad sensor someplace on that engine...

You can practice reading the codes on a engine without any codes, it will just show P_done.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:45 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if my car was shutting down on its own, the very first thing I would have done would take it in to have it scanned for codes. Without knowing if it's throwing any codes, you're just going to keep spending money on parts you may or may not need to replace.

Quick Reply: Replaced PCM & CPS, still shuts down