1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 dropping water like a woman on a car trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Cardfan9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 dropping water like a woman on a car trip

My 99 Durango 4x4 is droping water like it is nothing, appears to be coming from the back end of the engine, cannot see where the leak is

Am I screwed do I hve to take it in?

Old 09-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Cardfan9

Leak appears to be coming from the passenger side near the oil well as best I can tell

Will drop all the water in about a mile and a half of driving and start to overheat, leaves a stream of water for friends to follow

Old 09-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Cardfan9

sorry for the three posts, anyway any help would be appreciated
I'm an idiot when it comes to cars but can fix most anything if I know what is wrong but cannot even find where the leak is, everything is to compact

Old 09-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be a freeze plug. If the coolant is coming from the actual engine and not dripping down from a heater core line in the firewall...then it might be a freeze plug.

Hop under with a flashlight and try to see better where it's coming from. This is important, because it could mean the difference between pulling the engine or not.

The good news, a freeze plug is easy to get to and easy to fix after an engine has been removed and you have access to it.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:05 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

you need to figure out exactly where it is coming from, however it does SOUND like a freeze plug in your case

Old 09-27-2012, 05:48 PM
raleigh5
Amateur

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
you need to figure out exactly where it is coming from, however it does SOUND like a freeze plug in your case
at the risk of sounding stupid, i will ask anyways: could the water not be the water/condensation from the air conditioning that leaks down after it has been used? i have seen that under other cars i have had.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:53 PM
thomas242

Originally Posted by raleigh5
at the risk of sounding stupid, i will ask anyways: could the water not be the water/condensation from the air conditioning that leaks down after it has been used? i have seen that under other cars i have had.
Short answer: Yes it could.

If it does not look like antifreeze or smells like antifreeze, then its probably just condensation from your a/c. If it does not happen when you don't run the a/c, that should give you an idea.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:59 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by raleigh5

i would say yes (possible, not likely) except for this post

Originally Posted by Cardfan9
Leak appears to be coming from the passenger side near the oil well as best I can tell

Will drop all the water in about a mile and a half of driving and start to overheat, leaves a stream of water for friends to follow

if the truck is overheating that quickly it is loosing coolant somewhere, also the a/c condensation drip is a small slow drip not enough to leave a noticeable line on the road, have you ever been driving down the road and seen lines of water even on the most humid summer days??

Old 09-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Russ50
Professional

did you check an see if any water is comeing out from the back of the intake where the top of the trans an top of motor meets,,,

Old 09-28-2012, 02:11 AM
thomas242

Sure its not form your radiator or the water pump hose under the A/C leaking down and running off your skid plate?

If its leaking bad enough to leave a trail, then when it warms up open the hood and watch for the leak.

P.S I would not keep driving it, if it runs hot that fast.

Quick Reply: 99 dropping water like a woman on a car trip