1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need Help LEAKS>>antifreeze/tranny fluid..

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:48 PM
durangoo98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Help LEAKS>>antifreeze/tranny fluid..

Took a 1700 mile trip, thought be a good idea to change tranny fluid. dropped pan 3 times, could not get it to stop leaking. Last time put small amount of brown permatech around both sides of gasket. thought it was ok. halfway thru trip seen signs of it leaking AGAIN!!!!! Got home sure enuf put about 3 quarts in. what the hell can I do change gasket to cork from rubber???? Antifreeze leak near rear of engine, cant figure where???? Dripping down from tranny bell housing, diluting tranny fluid, soaking undercarriage, fluid stains on back hatch! Not to mention my driveway, any ideas would be appreciated... P.S. Its not waterpump or timing cover or heater lines, maybe rear of head gaskets(hope not) or are there accessable soft plugs at rear of engine???

Old 09-28-2012, 11:08 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

it could be a freeze plug leaking. If it is the ones on the back of the block they will require dropping the tranny; ask me how I know.

See if you can see the leak from the top of the engine, and you may be able to rule out freeze plugs.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:15 PM
durangoo98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a hell of a time finding the leak thats the prob. unable to see it. need to do valve cover gasks. so maybe i can find it with those out of the way?????

Old 09-29-2012, 09:59 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Maybe, but It's unlikely. If you cant find it from the top, but it's coming from the bell housing it sounds a lot like a freeze plug.

Quick Reply: Need Help LEAKS>>antifreeze/tranny fluid..