1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Clutch pack slipping. Tips for longevity.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Amblin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pack slipping. Tips for longevity.

1999 Durango 5.2l w/ 150,000 miles.

I,very recently been experiencing some issues with my Durango's transmission. It started first with the truck not launching normally, pressing the accelerator and having nothing happen for a second or two till the clutch catches and I go forward with an unpleasant jerk. Soon after I start hearing a loud buzzing noise coming from the transmission. I stop driving the vehicle until a mechanic changes the fluid and the clogged filter that was causing the pump to starve for fluid and buzz.

A few days later I feel the same jerk leaving a stoplight, so I have the fluid changed again, hoping it will be better with more of the old bad fluid drained out. Problem persists. I know that with each successive failed start the clutch is burned more and more, and it will come to the point all traction is gone and I need to rebuild the transmission.

I'm asking if whether at this point some transmission additives would help to prolong the life of the transmission until I have the money to rebuild it. Lucas stop slip, the stuff as thick as honey, would that help to boost pressure to the clutch and prevent slipping?

Old 09-29-2012, 10:55 PM
cummingetit
Professional

I wouldn't recommend that in these transmissions because i had a bad experience with it. I swear by Lucas products. I used some of that in my Trans not because it was slipping but as "insurance" just in case. Got in it 2 days later to find it slipping slightly. 2 miles down the road the Tranny was totally gone. Drained all the fluid again and ran atf +4. Started to come back to life. So i drained it again and re filled. Haven't had a problem 3 years later. Not sure if it was a freak coincidence but I'll assume it was the Lucas. Still run the additive in my Motor.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 09-30-2012, 03:22 AM
Amblin

I guess we'll find out if it was a freak occurrence. With the tranny as it is it is going out, in addition to the buck at launch it wouldn't want to downshift or up shift to second, and its getting progressively worse. I poured in about a third to a half of a bottle, engine warm and running, transfer in neutral, and drove it some. Felt like it was doing better, though I didn't drive it extensively or push it. I've got a spare car, a beater in my friend's possession, so if I get in and get going nowhere tomorrow or the next day no biggie. I'll be sure to report back any results.

Quick Reply: Clutch pack slipping. Tips for longevity.