1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

my 01 durnago is switching gears rough, not slipping though, advise please

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 02:04 AM
swab
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 01 durnago is switching gears rough, not slipping though, advise please

hey guys, you have helped me with every problem iv had so far, but this one is by far the worst.

my 2001 durango sport 4.7L 2WD is switching gears roughly. i have been taking off VERY slow start since the problem has started to happen to keep it easy on the transmission.

lets stay im at a stop light and go to take off, i stay below 2,000 RPM's to baby it but i notice it takes what feels like forever for the gear to go to the next highest. its like im holding in a clutch or something for to long. it takes about 2 seconds for when the gear starts switching for it to be completed switching.

however, lets say i need to do a quick start from a stop light "not even quick just normal like other drivers" then the gear starts to switch it and kind of bangs into gear, just a little tap noise. and while its changing gears my body moves forward like when a ****ty manual driver switches gears.

i notice when i turn my AC on it kind of makes the problem less severe. i recently replaced my radiator with my friend who is a mechanic, he also showed me a had a small vacuum leak he thought was my TPS sensor, but he didnt no if that was the correct sensor but when he pushed the sensor it made my RPM's go up, and when he let go it stopped, i am going to replace this tomorrow. im hoping it will also fix the switching gears roughly but i doubt it.

what do you guys think? is this transmission slipping i am feeling here? it doesnt feel like im reving in neutral then catch "thats what my friend said tranny slipping feels like" but i havent been hard on it since this problem, maybe if i really gun it, it might do that but i dont want to .

could a vacuum leak cause this?

Old 10-02-2012, 03:16 AM
cummingetit
Professional

I had a friend have this happen to his. When we dropped the trans pan we found a plate (which i believe holds in shift servos?) Had lost a bolt and let them slip out of the cavity slightly. Could be the same problem but then again I'm not very educated on automatic transmissions.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Russ50
Professional

Have you change the fluid an filter yet to see if that helps,, Trans filter could be getting cloged up an not letting the fluids go where its pos to go to,,

Old 10-03-2012, 02:40 AM
swab
Rookie

Originally Posted by Russ50
Have you change the fluid an filter yet to see if that helps,, Trans filter could be getting cloged up an not letting the fluids go where its pos to go to,,
im afraid to change the tranny fluid because im at 140,000 miles and never changed it before, i asked a tranny shop and they said that can cause it to break

Old 10-03-2012, 07:20 AM
cummingetit
Professional

Holy cow, changing your fluid should be the first thing you do today along with your filter. If it was mine id change fluid and filter then drive it for about 50 or so miles and change it again to see if it helps. Possibly pay for a flush. Idk how to check and tighten your bands but id probably look into it myself.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:16 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the tranny shop is wrong, you should change your fluid and filters. What WILL damage the transmission is to have it flushed NEVER EVER FLUSH A TRANSMISSION.

and here is why.
the transmission flush uses high pressure chemicals to break down and blow through any build up, this not only clogs the (usually brand new) filter, but pushes contaminants into the moving parts (this increases friction and wear in the system). The chemicals and high pressure also wreak havoc on the seals which are rubber and are carefully assembled to very specific torque specifications.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:51 AM
cummingetit
Professional

that makes sense. Why would they offer a service that will cause other problems! I thought they just used tranny fluid to "flush" out the old stuff with an external pump! Guess this will never be added to my to do list.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:29 PM
swab
Rookie

hey guys, just got back from a tranny place and they said i had a bad torque converter and would cost me $1500, he said it feels like a rumble when driving the truck, that wasnt even the problem i was having, it was delayed shifting, and when i said that he said it was shifting fine, but after i left the shop it was still doing it. i think they were just trying to rip me off. i am going to replace my TPS sensor today, could it be my output speed sensor? or a transmission speed sensor? i donno if they are both the same thing, i just been reading alot online trying to find a similar problem.

ok so dont do the tranny flush? just change the filter and put new tranny fluid? what about all the other tranny fluid that will be in there? wont it mix with the new tranny fluid i would be putting it in defeating the purpose?

Last edited by swab; 10-04-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:29 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cummingetit
that makes sense. Why would they offer a service that will cause other problems! I thought they just used tranny fluid to "flush" out the old stuff with an external pump! Guess this will never be added to my to do list.
now lets think about this, why would a shop offer a service that causes other problems (that they get paid to repair)???? hmmm i wonder . . .

Originally Posted by swab
hey guys, just got back from a tranny place and they said i had a bad torque converter and would cost me $1500, he said it feels like a rumble when driving the truck, that wasnt even the problem i was having, it was delayed shifting, and when i said that he said it was shifting fine, but after i left the shop it was still doing it. i think they were just trying to rip me off. i am going to replace my TPS sensor today, could it be my output speed sensor? or a transmission speed sensor? i donno if they are both the same thing, i just been reading alot online trying to find a similar problem.

ok so dont do the tranny flush? just change the filter and put new tranny fluid? what about all the other tranny fluid that will be in there? wont it mix with the new tranny fluid i would be putting it in defeating the purpose?
you will be mixing the fluid a little bit, but ATF+4 which is used in your 2001 is a very very durable fluid, not sure how many miles are your truck, but the trans fluid change interval is 100k miles.

if you are concerned about mixing fluids, you can pull the trans cooler return line off the transmission and put it into a bucket, then start the truck and let the transmission pump the fluid out using the fresh fluid that you just put into it to push the old fluid through.

this will cost more to do (you need to buy extra fluid beyond what would be needed for a dry fill of the trans, which is also more than a simple fluid/filter change would be) and you will have to do it yourself because most shops wont do it.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:07 AM
cummingetit
Professional

Another good point. Where was my brain yesterday.

Quick Reply: my 01 durnago is switching gears rough, not slipping though, advise please