1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 Durango SLT 4x4 creaking in front end.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 01:31 AM
rosepetal209
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 99 Durango SLT 4x4 creaking in front end.

Im going crazy! My 99 Durango has a creaking sound coming from the front end when I go over any kind of a bump in the road. It also makes the creaking sound when the truck is still and we get into or out of the it. When I first start it in the day it seems fine but the more it drives and warms up the sound gets worse.

The upper and lower ball joints were replaced a few months ago. The shocks were replaced a couple weeks ago. Control arm bushings are fine. My husband has looked at or replaced everything he can think of but cant seem to find the issue.

I have owned the truck for 3 years. In February of this year the front brakes were replaced by my husband and I took it in to a shop to have the rear brakes replaced. When I got the truck back the rear of the truck had a squealing sound with the rotation of the tires and the back brakes kept grabbing. I took the truck in almost every week for 4 months and complained and each time they would readjust something, claim it was fixed then send me on my way. Finally in June I threw a fit until they put another set of rear brakes on. The grabbing and squealing finally stopped but the shop manager tried to tell me that because my drivers seat didnt lock in place (it moves forward a bit when I stop hard) that that was causing me to 'lunge forward' and force my foot down a bit harder on the brake pedal which was wearing out my brakes faster and it was an extreme danger because it could 'throw me through the windshield' if I stopped to hard and they will not honor my warranty on the brakes until I fixed the drivers side seat track. As I said, I owned the truck for 3 years and didnt have the rear brake issues until THEY replaced them. The creaking sound started a month ago.

Could the rear brake issue have caused a problem that would make the creaking sound? Does this sound like a problem anyone has dealt with and if so what the heck is it!?

I should also add that 10 days ago I drove into a parking lot that had 3 dips in it. I was going a little bit faster than I should have been and I went over the three dips, I bounced the truck up and down pretty hard. The creaking stopped for almost 2 days then suddenly came back exactly the same way. Dont know if that will help narrow down the problem.

Can anyone lead me to what I should check next? Does this make my truck unsafe to drive? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by rosepetal209; 10-04-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:17 AM
cummingetit
Professional

Just sounds like a squeaky bushing to me but don't dismiss it until you can pin point that it isn't something dangerous. Have someone rock it back and forth side to side while someone listens under the front to try to find it. As for your seat that has got to be the biggest load of horse s#@+ i have ever heard lol. However i remember seeing in the diy section here that there is a fix for it so you don't have to pay $$$ for a shop to do it. Iirc it required some welding?

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-04-2012, 08:10 PM
rosepetal209

Bushings were the first thing checked right before the shocks were replaced. They are fine. When you push on the front end it creaks but narrowing it down to exactly where the creaking is coming from is proving to be difficult.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:41 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

diagnosing sounds over the internet without a solid location is difficult, and im not a fan of throwing money at it (parts) without having some reasonable level of confidence in what im saying, honestly with the way sound travels through these trucks its possible the noise is in the rear and not the front

Old 10-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Uller God

Sounds like sway bar bushings to me, you can try and blast some lube in there if you don't want to tear 'em apart and replace.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:03 AM
rosepetal209

Originally Posted by Uller God
Sounds like sway bar bushings to me, you can try and blast some lube in there if you don't want to tear 'em apart and replace.
Thats what is being done as we speak. Thank you for giving me a specific idea. Worth a try. Control arm bushings were checked and are fine.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:07 AM
alwaysclean19
Professional

Agreed on the sway bar bushings, I hope that solves your problem!

Quick Reply: 99 Durango SLT 4x4 creaking in front end.