1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

the brain

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 PM
one big mess
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the brain

So is there a way to tell if the brain is bad. After finally getting the transmission right the engine will stall after driving it for a little. I've already replace the crank sensor. When it shuts off the instrament panel shuts down first then it stalls. Oh yeah checked the ground wire for tightness. Also checked all the connectors that go in to it. Does the trans cooler have a shut down mode when it gets hot. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:30 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the transmission has a limp mode when it gets too hot, it sitc in either 2nd or 3rd gear and wont shift in most cases however when limp mode is active the engine also wont rev over 2k or 2.5k rpms (one limp mode for everything)

your transmission is controlled hydraulically except for overdrive so there is no computer for it (i assume this is what you mean by brain).

Old 10-06-2012, 08:42 AM
one big mess
Amateur

OK thanks but will the engine shut off when the tranny goes into limp mode. I Loose everything in my dashboard, lights, tachometer, all gauges and where the odometer is it reads no bus. Then the engine shuts down Let it sit for about ten minutes and it will start. Drive for about 3 blocks and it happens again.

Last edited by one big mess; 10-06-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:42 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

no the engine should NOT shut off bc of limp mode.

next time this happens, put a ziplock bag of ice on the PCM and see if it starts right back up, if you want tape the bag of ice to it and see if it stays running for more than 3 blocks. It sounds to me like your PCM is overheating and shutting off in an attempt to save itself (just like your PC will do if it overheats), if the bag of ice keeps you driving then you need to buy a new PCM

Old 10-07-2012, 08:30 AM
one big mess
Amateur

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
no the engine should NOT shut off bc of limp mode.

next time this happens, put a ziplock bag of ice on the PCM and see if it starts right back up, if you want tape the bag of ice to it and see if it stays running for more than 3 blocks. It sounds to me like your PCM is overheating and shutting off in an attempt to save itself (just like your PC will do if it overheats), if the bag of ice keeps you driving then you need to buy a new PCM
Cool thanks for the tip I'll give it a try. If its not the PCM is there anything other direction you can point me to

Old 10-07-2012, 11:26 AM
one big mess
Amateur

ok drove it for 30 mins and it wouldnt shut off. However the trans temp light came on. If I put a trans cooling unit on the truck will that solve the problem with the light coming on

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-07-2012, 07:48 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

depends on what is causing the trans to overheat, most likely it is a slipping trans causing it which means it would still overheat.

however it could also be overheating bc there isnt enough fluid in the trans, check that first and see where the fluid level is.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:41 AM
one big mess
Amateur

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
depends on what is causing the trans to overheat, most likely it is a slipping trans causing it which means it would still overheat.

however it could also be overheating bc there isnt enough fluid in the trans, check that first and see where the fluid level is.
Thanks I'll look into the fluid level (did just have the pan off to replace solenoids). The trans didn't seem to slip. I just replace the tranny pan gasket but it seems to leak from somewhere above it. Is there another gasket on the tranny I don't know about (seeing how I'm just a backyard machanic). I would like to THANK everyone for there help

Quick Reply: the brain