1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rear Diff whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 02:06 AM
BIGkam19
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Diff whining noise

Hey all, im new to the forum and im interested in getting involved. Now i have a 01 durango SLT 4x4 4.7L and i love it but for the past couple of months i have had a strange whining or light hum noise coming from the rear when im right around 20 or 40 MPH. I took it to a local shop today, and after driving it they said not to worry yet and that it would be fine. I personally would like to get the problem fixed so im here to ask if anyone has any ideas or suggestions about the problem. I know ive heard rear diff problems can be pretty pricy so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! ,Kameron

Old 10-07-2012, 03:34 AM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends what the whine is. Could just be LSD whine which is normal, that is if you have a LSD. Could be the carrier bearings or the pinion bearing.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-07-2012, 03:40 AM
cummingetit
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could try taking the fill plug out and sticking your finger in to see if you can feel fluid. If its low you could fill it to see if it helps. I think the next step would be to actually take the cover off and see what you have going on. You could also try checking where the drive shaft bolts to pinion. Check for play up, down, side to side, and in and out. Personally id do it with the back tires off of the ground to take the tension off of the drive shaft.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Quick Reply: Rear Diff whining noise