1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4.7 pinging under load

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 03:26 AM
Blind Monkey
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4.7 pinging under load

'00 Durango 4.7. im getting some moderate pinging under load bout 2500-3500rpm. cant get it less than that because it shifts down when trying to load it up, and its hard to hear if theres any past 3500, sure there would be if I could get enough weight in it to load it up at that rpm.

anyway no knock sensors on '00, thinking it really SHOULDN'T be pinging. what should I be looking for?

Old 10-26-2012, 07:39 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

have you gotten gas at any shady places lately? you could have gotten some bad gas, try a tank of mid grade in there and see what happens, then go back to regular and see if it returns (try the easy stuff first)

Old 10-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Blind Monkey
Professional

been thinking I should try a tank of midgrade, just always thought these engines are suppose to be fine with regular(87 octane here in Canada). I have bought gas all over the place to see if gas from different stations would make a difference. its done it since I put it on the road last spring I just never realized how much till I was out with my trailer not to long ago. if im not towing I either dont stay in the range long enough or just don't have the pedal down enough in that range to cause it very often.

i'll get a tank of midgrade soon and see what happens, I am only a few minutes from the border so probally go get it in washington wheres it cheaper then here in BC.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:24 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

you should be just fine with regular gas (thats all i put in mine i cant afford the better stuff if i dont have to) give it a try and let us know

Old 10-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Fox Fader
Captain

We used to have a Quest that did that... my wife had cheap gas. After a few tanks of good quality gas all was back to normal. We continued with the quality gas.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Blind Monkey
Professional

Originally Posted by Fox Fader
We used to have a Quest that did that... my wife had cheap gas. After a few tanks of good quality gas all was back to normal. We continued with the quality gas.

these things are supppose to be able to run just fine on regular grade gas. if a vehicle designed to run on regular grade gas needs mid or high grade gas to run without pinging then something is wrong.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:52 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

you are correct, but a tank of higher octane gas is a simple and (relatively) inexpensive troubleshooting step

Old 10-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is your temperature running at when the pinging occurs? Is it normal, above normal, or below normal?

I had some pinging issues on my truck after having it reprogrammed. Thought i was running crappy gas as well and put in some 104 octane boost but still pinged. Later discovered my temperature was running at near 190 when I have a 180 stat. The modified pcm was set for 180 for optimum power. I guess with engine running hotter than usual, pinging occured.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Blind Monkey
Professional

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
you are correct, but a tank of higher octane gas is a simple and (relatively) inexpensive troubleshooting step
yup, just trying to finish off a heater core so it can drive again and burn off enough gas to put more in(like that will take long lol). just saying that high octane is not a permanent sollultion.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Blind Monkey
Professional

Originally Posted by Kensai
What is your temperature running at when the pinging occurs? Is it normal, above normal, or below normal?

I had some pinging issues on my truck after having it reprogrammed. Thought i was running crappy gas as well and put in some 104 octane boost but still pinged. Later discovered my temperature was running at near 190 when I have a 180 stat. The modified pcm was set for 180 for optimum power. I guess with engine running hotter than usual, pinging occured.
runs below the halfway mark, not sure on what the number is I just have the factory guage. I know its well below where the computer turns the e-fan on, but even then I have been running defrost alot lately due to a bum heatcore making it hard to keep the windsheild defrosted(another thread to follow with questions for that) so the fan was on anyway keeping the temps low, and the A/C is empty right now so it wasn't on causing more load on eng.

Quick Reply: 4.7 pinging under load