1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1999 Durango. Not cranking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 10:17 PM
jacobhobbs08
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Durango. Not cranking.

I just joined the site, but have been reading for years. My wife's 99 Durango has been nothing but trouble since we bought it. Since purchasing the truck last fall, I have replaced: coil, alternator, battery, ignition switch, and a whole slew of transmission parts..but that is a whole other matter. My current issue is that the truck just flat out refuses to turn over. The battery is still fully charged, and the truck won't crank even with the battery on a charger, but all the electronics inside work just fine. I have checked all the fuses, relays, checked fuel pressure *which was fine*, fuel pump primes, checked and rechecked the grounds, rebuilt and rechecked the battery terminals. The only unusual thing is, once i put the key in and turn it to *start* the speedometer moves up from 0 and kind of bounces up a few times after you try to start it. Anyone have any ideas of what is keeping this thing from working? I'm kind of at the end of my rope since I already have to rebuild the trans. Any help or ideas would be unbelievably appreciated!!

Old 10-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jacobhobbs08
I just joined the site, but have been reading for years. My wife's 99 Durango has been nothing but trouble since we bought it. Since purchasing the truck last fall, I have replaced: coil, alternator, battery, ignition switch, and a whole slew of transmission parts..but that is a whole other matter. My current issue is that the truck just flat out refuses to turn over. The battery is still fully charged, and the truck won't crank even with the battery on a charger, but all the electronics inside work just fine. I have checked all the fuses, relays, checked fuel pressure *which was fine*, fuel pump primes, checked and rechecked the grounds, rebuilt and rechecked the battery terminals. The only unusual thing is, once i put the key in and turn it to *start* the speedometer moves up from 0 and kind of bounces up a few times after you try to start it. Anyone have any ideas of what is keeping this thing from working? I'm kind of at the end of my rope since I already have to rebuild the trans. Any help or ideas would be unbelievably appreciated!!
Crankshaft position sensor? all tho i dunno if that would cause the speedo thing...

Old 10-27-2012, 10:36 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Sounds like the neutral safety switch may be going bad. Try to start it in neutral.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:56 PM
jacobhobbs08

Neutral and park both have the same symptoms. I think i should say that i can shift from park without pushing the brakes. I have replaced the neutral safety switch, but it could have been installed wrong.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:04 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

could also be the relay not engaging to allow power to the starter

Old 10-27-2012, 11:32 PM
jacobhobbs08

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
could also be the relay not engaging to allow power to the starter

That was kind of what I was thinking. But I swapped it out with a known good one and it still didn't work. AFAIK i've got nothing else to really replace other than the crankshaft position sensor?

Old 10-28-2012, 08:38 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

could also possibly be the solenoid which is integral to the starter, see if you are getting voltage at the starter when you turn the key to start (based on your OP i take it you know how to use a multi-meter)

Old 10-28-2012, 12:07 PM
tbailey

Having same problem, replaced crankshaft position sensor still won't start.Fuel pump not energizing!!

Old 10-28-2012, 12:14 PM
jacobhobbs08

Originally Posted by tbailey
Having same problem, replaced crankshaft position sensor still won't start.Fuel pump not energizing!!
Check your fuses, relays, and grounds. A good place to start anyway.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:09 PM
jacobhobbs08

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
could also possibly be the solenoid which is integral to the starter, see if you are getting voltage at the starter when you turn the key to start (based on your OP i take it you know how to use a multi-meter)
No voltage at starter when the key is turned to start. I can feel and hear the relay clicking each time. Checked and rechecked the wiring to the starter...still nothing. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: 1999 Durango. Not cranking.