1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1999 Shaking Bad

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 02:12 PM
dgdepriest
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Shaking Bad

I have a 1999 Durango 4X4 with the bigger V8. When you start it, the engine shakes(the whole vehicle actually) bad. When looking at the engine, the shaking is from front to back, not side to side like an engine miss. Lots of noise coming from around the Torque converter area also. The 4X4 transfer case is going up and down and looks like it can break off if left running. I am leaning towards the torque converter or drive plate being the cause. WHen putting in gear, it goes but the noises get worse. The Torque converter was changed awhile back but they left several bolts either out or very loose. Anyone have a different thought on the issue? Thanks for looking.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:53 PM
dgdepriest

When I say bolts left out, I am talking mounting bolts. The transmission mount has 8 bolts, four on each side bolting to the frame rail. On one side, two were not put back, the other two are barely in. When looking up from the bottom, you can see daylight between the engine and tranny and I see several bolts not tight.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:55 PM
cummingetit
Professional

I would say that your loose and missing bolts are EVERY bit of your problem. How long ago was the tc changed? I would trailer it right back to the shop and make them fix it and the damage caused by their mistake!

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-31-2012, 11:44 AM
dgdepriest

Thank you cummingetit. I called a friendly tranny shop and they said basically the same thing. They are letting me bring the tranny in after removal for a free inspection of the front pump which they seem to think could have suffered the brunt of the botched installation. If the pump is bad, they will fix it for under 200 bucks. The TC was changed about a year ago by someone who did not know what they were doing obviously. We are gonna just fix it and be done with it.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:37 PM
cummingetit
Professional

That sucks man. Sorry that happened to you, i try to do all of my own work just so i know i don't get ripped off and if something breaks i have no one to be mad at but myself.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Quick Reply: 1999 Shaking Bad