ultimatum!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 11:33 PM
krupaeric
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ultimatum!!!

my wife gave me the ultimatum today!
i can either modify my d to what i want, and wait another year (2014) to buy an r/t. if i can find one!!
or buy the r/t i want and wait till 2014 to do any more mods to my existing d.
im stuck at a cross road and dont know which way to go.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krupaeric
i can either modify my d to what i want, and wait another year (2014) to buy an r/t. if i can find one!!
Personally, i would go with just modifying the existing one and saving your $$ on the new one. While the new ones are really nice i just don't feel there built as sturdy and rugged as they used to be, that includes pretty much anything new... Seems like vehicles now days are desighned to be used 2-3 years and then recycled for a newer one. Also, with the known fact the the D is ending soon (2014? 2016?) not sure that was a smart business move on Dodge to make it known in 2012, Thats like selling tickets for the Titantic and assuring the guests it will sink!

Old 10-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by krupaeric
Personally, i would go with just modifying the existing one and saving your $$ on the new one. While the new ones are really nice i just don't feel there built as sturdy and rugged as they used to be, that includes pretty much anything new... Seems like vehicles now days are desighned to be used 2-3 years and then recycled for a newer one. Also, with the known fact the the D is ending soon (2014? 2016?) not sure that was a smart business move on Dodge to make it known in 2012, Thats like selling tickets for the Titantic and assuring the guests it will sink!

Old 10-26-2012, 11:29 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

i totally agree with you abou the new r/t's. but im not purchasing a new one. sorry.
i meant a new one for me. lol. in a few months a co.worker is going to be selling his.
its a 2000 durango r/t. and he offered me first dibs. he only drives it seasonally so only been driven in the summer months. it has rarely ever seen rain or dirt. the interior and the engine bay look brand new. however it has the typical dodge rust. on the front fenders and on the lift gate. the lift gate is the worst. its worse than mine.
but the under neath still has the orriginal under coating. and he has had it since it was brand new. so he is the only owner. its black with black interior and its not an awd. its either in 2 wheel or 4 high or low. not a stock option. he replaced the ecu from a 99r/t and put in the 99's transfer case and replaced the shifter so it looks like the 99 model. it has under 100,000 miles. the rims are stained from brake dust and it has disc brakes all around. its a nice r/t. in good condition. he told me he would sell it to me for $3,500. and thats when i told my wife about it. when she gave me the ultimatum. ugh!
but i have been thinking about it alot lately. and i still cant make up my mind. lol.
i have already purchased pretty much a whole new front end for mine. so do i buy the r/t and use the parts that i already purchased and fix its front end. and hope that throught the year i can talk her into letting me buy parts to builed em both up.
i dont know.
its driving me nuts!!!!!
plus around where i live you never see any durango r/t's unless its a newer model.
and if i dont get it. ill mostlikely have to travel 100's of miles to get one next year if i dont take the opporotunity thats presented itself to me.
ugh!!!
any input anyone????
i dont think ill be able to make this decision on my own. lol!!!

Old 10-26-2012, 11:43 PM
Duralude09
Rookie

id do the r/t

Old 10-27-2012, 12:41 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Yea i would pull the trigger.... even though it needs some TLC it sounds like it be a great ride.... BTW your in NY, any chance of talking the wife into letting you ride down here to PA to join us at Carlisle in july?

Old 10-27-2012, 07:59 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

sounds to me like you need to buy the R/T and put this one on the back burner for a bit

Old 10-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same here. I have a 2000 R/T and it is my daily vehicle. MPG sucks but I think I discovered the problem and bring my mpg back up soon.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:58 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The R/T has AWD and your 1998 has 2WD, so by performance sake I would build the 1998 5.9L, not to mention you will save on tires. However if you want the R/T look then do that.

The newer 2003 R/T is what I would go for if offered, and you chose the R/T, but it's up to you.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:53 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

the r/t that my buddie has used to be awd. but he put a transfer case and all the connecting hardware on it and ecu from a slt + on it and had it reflashed for performance. so he turned it into a 2wd instead of an awd.
which in my mind was a great move. he does burn thru tires though. lol.
but yea i think im leaning more twards the r/t.
even though i have been on hughes engines.com dreaming about buying there top end kit and doing a 5.9 46re swap on mine. but i guess i can always do that down the road.
its not every day when you get offered a chance to buy a rare vehicle for a decent price.

and to old school.
i tried talking my wife into going to carlisle, but she wont let me, theres a local music festival the 1st weekend in july every year that we have never missed.
but i still havent given up hope.
ill keep bugging her about it, and maybe when she see's how desperately i want to go she will just give in, lol.
one can always hope!!!

Quick Reply: ultimatum!!!