1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Tranmission replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 03:08 PM
adw911
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranmission replacement

Ok I’m new the forum and I have some questions on transmission replacement:
My transmission went out on Halloween I was on the way to my sister in laws to take the kids trick or treating with their cousin I pass the street I was suppost to turn on so I stopped put it in reverse and gave it some gas and it slowly started to move backwards (like it was slipping) so I gave it a little more gas and there was a bang like I had dropped it into gear and it took off it did the same thing in drive I got to the drive way put it in park, put it back into drive and I could hear like a whinding with some clatters (thinking this is not good at all) and I have pretty much come the conclusion that the tranny is shot. So I’m looking and at some “ you pull your part places” for some wrecked cars with somewhat low miles to pull the tranny out of them but they say they don’t know how many miles are on the vehicles without turning the key ( which they don’t have) so my question is is there any way to power up the instrument cluster with a 9V or a 6V flash light battery to see what the miles are on these vehicles or any other trick that might help me out here? I just don’t want to out 2 hrs of my time in to pulling a transmission and find out it has 170,000 on it and is about to let go like my last one any advice would be helpful.
1999 Dodge Durango SLT
5.2L 4X4

Old 11-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adw911
Ok I’m new the forum and I have some questions on transmission replacement:
My transmission went out on Halloween I was on the way to my sister in laws to take the kids trick or treating with their cousin I pass the street I was suppost to turn on so I stopped put it in reverse and gave it some gas and it slowly started to move backwards (like it was slipping) so I gave it a little more gas and there was a bang like I had dropped it into gear and it took off it did the same thing in drive I got to the drive way put it in park, put it back into drive and I could hear like a whinding with some clatters (thinking this is not good at all) and I have pretty much come the conclusion that the tranny is shot. So I’m looking and at some “ you pull your part places” for some wrecked cars with somewhat low miles to pull the tranny out of them but they say they don’t know how many miles are on the vehicles without turning the key ( which they don’t have) so my question is is there any way to power up the instrument cluster with a 9V or a 6V flash light battery to see what the miles are on these vehicles or any other trick that might help me out here? I just don’t want to out 2 hrs of my time in to pulling a transmission and find out it has 170,000 on it and is about to let go like my last one any advice would be helpful.
1999 Dodge Durango SLT
5.2L 4X4
I am not sure any tricks that would work to get the odometer to light up but, keep in mind when searching that either a 44RE (what you have now) or a 46RE (more of a HD version on the 44) will bolt up to your 5.2l...

Quick Reply: Tranmission replacement