1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Newbie R/T Clone question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 03:52 PM
Pauls 2K
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie R/T Clone question...

Ok yes I'm new here but have to ask, has anyone built an R/T clone? I'd love to do this with mine...17 inch'ish wheels and tires, lower it a little and some stripes? I just did the exhaust and that 5.9 really sounds sweet...Just looking for some input and ideas, maybe some pictures...
Name:  100_6387.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  193.3 KB

Old 11-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

depends how far you wanna go? external appearance would be the 17 inch rims with the 5.9 R/T badges on the sides and it will look like an R/T on the outside.

interior, just need the R/T embroiled suede seats.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:27 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Also the 5.9rt had a slightly more aggressive pcm, so get a tuner. I got the sct from hemifevertuning and love it.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The R/T clone idea is kinda popular around here.... But, not for the right reasons... The noobs around here like to dress there truck up to look like a R/T, then try to sell it for a off the wall price usually around 9-10K just because its a "R/T".....

Old 11-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Pauls 2K
Amateur

Well first of all, I for one would NEVER con someone...(and I know you're not implying that)...I watch Barrett Jackson and Mecum auctions and know all about what NOT to do with a clone...lol.... Unfortunately they've made it almost impossible for the average Joe like me to own one...Now with my D I can maybe get close...
So anyway, is the a semi inexpensive way of going about it? Like aftermarket wheels? I guess I need to google some pics....Were there stripes used? What about the ones that go on the fenders and look like this // I like them....

Old 11-02-2012, 04:54 AM
krupaeric
Veteran

didnt the r/t's also have 2.02 in valves and 1.62 ex valves on the cylender heads. cuz i know the stock 5.9 slt have 1.92 in valves and 1.52 ex valves. so if you were to go tru r/t clone you would need to get an upgraded set of cylinder heads. as well as a reflash on your ecu. and the r/t suade interior . and the badges. and the 17" wheels. and the

Old 11-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The R/T 5.9 is still stock overall. only the PCM was upgraded and that was primarily for 2000. 01-03 went back to stock pcm so power dropped back to norm.

doubt anyone will notice the loss of 5hp/10lb on the engine.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pauls 2K
Well first of all, I for one would NEVER con someone...(and I know you're not implying that)...I watch Barrett Jackson and Mecum auctions and know all about what NOT to do with a clone...lol.... Unfortunately they've made it almost impossible for the average Joe like me to own one...Now with my D I can maybe get close...
So anyway, is the a semi inexpensive way of going about it? Like aftermarket wheels? I guess I need to google some pics....Were there stripes used? What about the ones that go on the fenders and look like this // I like them....
I say that because i live in a town that is right next to the city... we get alot of thugs and wannabes that migrate over and most of them just wanna screw you however they can.. I know there are still alot of great people in the world but, sadly (atleast in this area) you run across 3 scammers for every one good hearted honest person.

About 2 years ago the wife and i got a chance to visit Texas for the first time as she had a friend that did live down there just outside of Fort Worth. Everyone we met down there was really friendly and there are some areas that are really pretty.. We at one time talked about moving down there so she could be closer to her friend but, it turned out that her friend moved back up here.

But, yeah anyways back to topic.... I think the R/T clone is a cool idea and i wish you luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Pauls 2K
Amateur

If you ever visit again or think about moving, check out the Texas Hill Country...Thats where we are, Fredericksburg...Been here almost 2 years. We sold almost everything we had and moved from Michigan...Sunny and 85 today, took a cruise with the windows down. It's green with lots of curvy roads and rolling hills...We love it plus we're between Austin and San Antonio...Check out the Alamo and The River Walk...It's awesome...

Quick Reply: Newbie R/T Clone question...