1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

TRUE dual exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 05:09 PM
kimbo22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRUE dual exhaust?

Is anybody running true dual exhaust on there durangos? Two pipes in two pipes out. I've read its hard to its easy to its not possible to do true dual exhaust on durangos so I'm just wondering if anybody on here has true dual exhaust there running

Old 11-07-2012, 07:12 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

in the case of a 99 MY truck the engine will not run correctly with true duals because you only have 2 oxygen sensors. if you wanted to run duals you need to have at least 3(4 is ideal) so that you can have one pre-cat sensor in each pipe otherwise the computer is going to be guessing on the a/f mixture for the other cylinder bank.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:20 PM
kimbo22

Thanks for the reply, I did not know that. I was just thinking of if it was easily or commonly done on other durangos

Old 11-08-2012, 02:43 AM
krupaeric
Veteran

i came up with a design for as true of a dual exhaust as you can get. you utilize 2 x pipes in the process and it has to be enitrely custom built. im getting it done in the spring. you have to cut your y pipe comming off your heads and weld in a x pipe and in the center of that x pipe is where you put your pre cat o2 sensor then after that running side by side you have to put 2 high flo cats and then after that another x pipe with your after cat o2 sensor then you run your pipes over the axle and to the back where you put 2 mufflers of your choice with chrome tips going out the back on either side. also you have to cut a spot on the oposite side of your rear bumper for that 2nd exhaust tip to come out. i got a few estimates from a few reputibable exhaust shops near me and its going to cost about $700 to do it. so its not cheap. but you can use either 2.5" piping or 3" piping and you can chose either galvinized or stainless. the stainless estimate i got was over a thousand $ so... you choose

Old 11-08-2012, 07:31 PM
jjphurst
Rookie

So, to be able to run true dual exhaust you dont have either spare under your truck or factory tow pkg. Cause with my 03 they get in the way of exhaust on the drivers side. And I dont want to lose my receiver hitch so I just left it alone save for Flowmaster and tailpiece.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:14 PM
lvphotos
Veteran

There is no benefits of running duals on a relatively stock truck. I have seen a big block Chevy truck with duals gain HP and torque by putting a high flow single exhaust. If you want the look use a dual out muffler. The choke point is the y-pipe. I run a set of short headders and 2.5" pipe with Delta flow Flowmasters. More than plenty for over 400 HP 406 smallblock Chevy. Til you brake 400 save the headache.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:26 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

the reason why im doing the dual is because i have purchased the 390 stroker kit for the 318 from hughes engines and in the spring im getting the top end performance package and putting in a 46re tranny. along with rebuilding the front end which i just received after a i month wait from rock auto.
but in my design for the dual exhaust the x pipes are dual 2.5" in and 2.5" out with a center diamiter of 3.25" so it doesnt restrict the flow like the y pipe does on stock units.
and im also doing it for a much more aggressive exhaust profile.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:18 PM
lvphotos
Veteran

There is really no room for a x pipe. Fab a 2.5" y for better flow. You still don't need a true dual exhaust. Ask the guys at Hughes for advice. You can loose good backpresser and hurt performance with too much pipe.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:28 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

the largest section of the x pipe is 3.25" and the rest of the piping is 2.5". you can get 3" exhaust y pipes and cats and cat backs. also the top end performance package has the edelbrock cylinder heads with 3 way valve jobs and larger intake and exhaust valves on it as well as a dual 55mm throttle body. but i understand what you mean about loosing back pressure but im not to worried about it with it having the performance heads and intake and t/b. i wouldnt do it on a stock ride. also im doing a 3" body lift so i should have plenty of clearance for the x pipe. the way she sits now i wouldnt be able to do it. but thanks for the forwarning. also im still trying to talk my wife into going to carlisle for the dodge convention. i really want to show off my hard work in person. what i got planned for the d should turn a few heads. especially with it getting the whole line x treatement for a paint job. and for those of you who knew about the r/t that i was offered his wife got side swiped on the truway and the insurance company totaled her out. so i was bummed out about that. thats why i have decided to completely rebuild my d from the ground up in the spring.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:30 PM
kimbo22

thanks for all the input guys. what exhaust would you all recommend if i where to go with just a single pipe set up

Quick Reply: TRUE dual exhaust?