1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

P0505 and P1762 after seafoam/oil-change

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Andreas2k10
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0505 and P1762 after seafoam/oil-change

Just to check if anybody here has experienced this.

Seafoamed my '99 D before oil-chango to full synthetic. 1/3 in tank, 1/3 in oil and 1/3 through hose into system. Left it sitting for a few minutes, drove it to the oil-change. Some smoking (as expected). Oil change was done, drove the car from the mech. home around the neighborhood. Runs perfect.

Later in the evening trying to go to gym, car does not want to chift to 2nd gear, check engine is on as well. Take it to mechanic, hooks up computer, says it would be the IAC valve (?).
Take it to Autozone, codes P0505 and P1762 (OEM Brand Chrysler...if that is correct).

I leave Autozone and the car shifts normally again, still shows code.

Replaced valve (free, warranty), try to reset ECM (check engine light). Turn key (not starting car yet) and the check engine light comes back on.
"I have not even STARTED the car. Give me a chance!" I say.

Engine revving at just under 2k. Taking it back to autozone, same codes, even after I changed the valve already.

While at Autozone starting the car revvs up to just under 3k.

Driving home, not shifting, high revving at 2k, stop at gas-station, start the car again...now idling again at 3k.

So, Inspector Gadget who I am...NONE of this showed before the seafoaming. Seafoam does not get into tranny and so I am thinking/assuming the ECM is being screwed with for whatever reason.

Oh, and even though I have fuel in the tank it shows completely empty...does not even move until i turn it off and then on again at which time it shows FULL TO THE BRIM...even though I maybe have 1/3 tank right now. After showing full for a few minutes it drops to completely empty.

NUTS!
All this after Seafoam. I am assuming the ECM is getting wrong readings from sensors and shtuff.

Anybody have any ideas?
Any other way to reset the Check Engine light besides -bat. cable off and key to start for 15 seconds?

APPRECIATE the time and help ya'll.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:54 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

when you turn the key on w/o starting the engine, the CEL comes on, this is by design and is not a problem, when you start the engine it should then go off if there are no codes.

P0505 Idle Air Ctrl Motor Circs
P1762-GOV PRESS SEN OFFSET VOLTS TOO LO OR HIGH
if you replaced the IAC w/ a mopar unit i would be comfortable ruling it out, but otherwise its still a potential culprit.

the 1762 code is a transmission code. either a bad governor sensor or bad wiring for such.

seafoam can kill oxygen sensors, however that is the only engine control sensor they should have any effect on.

ECM is a ford term, walk into a good doge shop and call it an ECM and you will be taken to the cleaners, dodge calls it a PCM because of what it controls (everything)

to clear the CEL you have 2 options, a OBDII scanner, or remove the battery and hold the key to start for 30 seconds NEVER EVER touch the two battery terminals together you will cook the PCM for sure.

the engine speed is controlled by the IAC and MAP sensor at idle and the TPS and MAP sensor while driving, also when was the last time you cleaned the throttle body out good? a dirty throttle body can cause alot of very odd running problems.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Andreas2k10
Rookie
Default Hi and thanks

IAC was replaced last year in december at which time I also fully removed and cleaned the throttle body. Looked at it...it is nice and clean.

The mech. and Autozone tried to clear the code but couldn't. I tried a few times with the battery...no go.

The revving...it is way too high, double of what it was before even with the old IAC.

I am looking at multiple things happening at the same time (fuel gauge, shifting, high idle) which makes me think the PCM is getting complete screwed info from somewhere. It all just started at the same time...hmmm.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:53 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

check all the power connections under the hood, especially at the PCM, it is unlikely for the PCM to go all at once like that, however not impossible. It is more common for one issue to pop up, and thena nother, and another when the PCM goes out which is why i feel like it is a connector that came loose, however idk which one is common to everything

Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Andreas2k10
Rookie
Default Question

Do you think a sensor somewhere could have gotten dirty and causing these codes?
These issues started after an oil-change after seafoam use. It drove absolutely fine from the mechanic to the house but 15 minutes later started these shinanigans. At first it would go back to shifting normal but the fuel gauge would act up, car would rev at 2k-3k in idle. When hitting the accelerator pedal it would rev higher and stay high ... even after changing the IAC.
New IAC was adjusted and it revvs just under 1K but the rest of the problems still persist. (I think the IAC needs to be re-adjusted after the issue has been found.

What I have also noticed a couple of times, turning the key to the start position (not starting the car) and letting the car go through it's own check (check engine light stays on, moment later low fuel light comes on) it seems like everything blinks off for a split-second. Including the interior lights, dashboard lights. Just blinks off for a short moment.

Short?

Old 11-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Andreas2k10
Rookie
Default Addition

Besides the issues happening all at once, I see a powersteering leak from a hose (no clamp for whatever reason) and a small radiator leak. So very tiny I never noticed. Was missing a bit of water as well.

Plan today:
Check all electrical connections in and under the engine.
Pull Oxygen sensors and clean em.
Clamp on hose at Powersteering pump.
Close pinhole leak on radiator.
Reset PCM

If the motor is idling should the plates inside the throttle body be open a little? Or is that only when car accelerates?

Old 11-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Andreas2k10
Rookie
Default well

No change at all.
Exhaust smell different than usual as well.

Quick Reply: P0505 and P1762 after seafoam/oil-change