1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Clutch fan vs electric fan

Old 09-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Pasolo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch fan vs electric fan

My next project on my 98 D with the hope of improving the mpg is to remove the belt drive fan which puts tremendous load on the engine, and installing and electric fan has anyone tried this project.

Old 09-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Clutch fan vs electric fan

My 2000 R/T has the heavy duty cooling package so it comes with both the clutch fan and electric fan. If you plan to get a electric fan, try to get one that can closely matches the diameter of your clutch fan to get the maximum cooling. Otherwise, you can by those flex fan that is belt driven but uses way less power to operate.

Old 09-05-2005, 05:42 PM
Pasolo

Thank you for your response. I am aware that I will need to match the diameter of my stock fan as closely as possible, I also think the stock shroud might have to be modified I just hope it’s worth doing.

Old 09-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Kensai
Champion

Either that or you can mount twin fans from the back or from the front if there is room. When I had my Toyota Truck, I replaced my clutch fan with an electric one. The engine started to overheat. That's when I found out that my electric fan is much smaller than my clutch fan and was not able to do a good job moving air. I think my clutch fan was a 16 inch and my electric was a 12 incher. So I went out and bought a flex fan that is clutchless. The fan blades pitch will change with the increase in rpms so it won't work the engine at higher rpm speeds. But at idle and low rpms, the fan blades pitch more to move more air. This helped my 4 banger out alot in recovering some HP, but I moved my 12 inch fan from the back to the front to assist in the cooling mainly when I use A/C. I just spliced the incoming power to the A/C compressor clutch to power a relay which will turn on/off the electric fan.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:19 PM
biggame

I have both types of fans. A friend of mine has the electric fans go out and his A/C didn't work well at all. My advice is to run both!

Old 02-28-2007, 07:39 PM
fyjimophreak

Did you have any luck finding a kit to swap out the electric for the clutch fan? I'm looking to do the same thing in my finace's 99 D. Living in Wisconsin it has a hard time warming up (it just barely gets up to temperature by the time she get's to work) and her mpg is horrible. I've looked around a little bit to find a kit for her car, but without any luck. I was reading some of the other posts and I already changed out her water pump (different issue, it was leaking) and the coolant and thermostat so I know those are all good. If anyone knows where I can get a kit, either specific or generic, I'd appreciate it.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

http://www.socaldakota.comshould have everything you need for either project.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:06 AM
fyjimophreak

Thanks!

Old 03-01-2007, 02:25 AM
tpetty

do they have an add on electric fan for the earlier durangos ? id love to add a fan as im in AZ and it tends to get hot

Old 03-01-2007, 02:56 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

Socaldakota.com as mentioned above sells the Dodge Viper electric fan kit to be used as an add-on for '98/'99 Ds and replacement for '00-03 Ds. Lot's-o-parts, not just drop in, but it does work. It is somewhat pricey and Socaldak has forum reportedly had issues with responsiveness. You may order it now and have to wait and recontact them for a month+ to get it. Seems like it is on back order a lot.

IndyDurango

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch fan vs electric fan