1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Anyone else converted their Rango to Standard??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 08:13 PM
MILLS5DODGING
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Anyone else converted their Rango to Standard??

Hey guys i just recently this fall finished my 5 speed conversion in my 99 slt durango and i love it, has anyone else done this conversion and how did you like it after. Anyone that wants to do it this and have questions about it ill be more than glad to answer them for you. Dodge should have done a few factory standard talk bout fun!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:02 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

you should do a write up on it.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:32 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 12-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Duralude09
Rookie

Write up and pictures now!

Old 12-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am curious, this 5 speed conversion you did. Was it for your V6? That what I see in your sig.

I doubt that 5 speed will hold up to the high torque of our 5.9 motors tho.

I wished Keisler still have those 6 speed Tremec manual kits that was made for Dakota which I think they stopped producing.

Would have been great to adapt that dakota tremec 6 speed tranny to our Durangos.

Last edited by Kensai; 12-11-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:34 PM
MILLS5DODGING
Default the truth of the conversion

this is a no joke no lie dodge durango with a 5.9L auto 46re to a standard 3500nv HD conversion. Most of the parts were used only thing new was clutch pilot bearing, through out bearing, u joints, strap kits, fluids, and tranny mount. Transmission, transfer case, pedals, slave cylinder, master cylinder, driveshafts were all used. The reason for changing the tranny out was due to stupidity and breaking the transfer off the trans. and being my 2nd 46re with a good shift kit in it i had enough with the automatic and didnt know of anyone with a stick shift durango with the big 5.9L powerhouse. Yes it was a time consuming job but it was worth it first was to pull the trans. out of parts truck which was a 2500 ram with a 5.9l year 1998 , then pull pedals from a junk dakota year 1999 v6. Then to pull tranny, shift cable tranny lines tv cable and pedals, to insure room the brake booster shift consule, steering column came out. put the dakota pedals and dakota master cylinder and resivor in with the ram slave cylinder, resurfaced flywheel at machine shop, installed with ram flywheel bolts due to length, spaced the crankshaft sensor to not hit the flywheel, put in clutch, cut hole for shift tower had to cut a little closer to firewall then i wanted for sure fit but worked well, installed tranny wired up the clutch switch from the park neutral wires, wired back up wire, filled with fluid, gave the shift tower stub shaft a little bend, bleed clutch installed slave cylinder, modified and bolted 4x4 shift assembly bracket, installed transfer case, filled with fluid, installed new u joints in drive shafts, installed drive shafts from durango had to change yoke on tcase due to comming from ram with new strap kits. messured tranny height from my dakota and modified a bracket for my tranny mount using the durango four bolt mount to hook to the ram tranny at proper height, modified 4x4 shift rod, changed sensor for 4x4 indicated from vacuum to electric, plugged o2s back in, put y pipe back in pressurized clutch pedal put floor shift boots in, and gave a bend to shifter stick welded in place put on t handle and to it for a test drive, noticed check engine light on after 10 miles due to being auto ecm still ran good drove good and had awesome power and sound but threw a few shift codes, when i get time i will get a dakota v8 5 speed ecm to fix problem and iv got a nice polish peice of diamond plate im ganna cut holes in and put lights in for a floor consule when i get a free day to tinker, other then thoughs to little things it came out great. cost wise i had about 1200 in parts and guessing 50 hours so far in time.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone else converted their Rango to Standard??-1211121253.jpg   Anyone else converted their Rango to Standard??-1rango1.jpg  
Old 12-11-2012, 09:38 PM
MILLS5DODGING

please dont mind the dirty floors and dont mind the shift consule like i said its coming out when i make my diamond plate one with lights and stuff.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the extra info! That really explains alot!

I would not recommend getting a dakota v8 5speed ecm to replace yours. As they do not make a 5.9 ecm with stick shift direct from factory.

Best recommendation is to have your current ecm custom flashed so you won't get the false codes.

I am about ready to get another new vehicle in a year or so. The durango will still stay with me as it will now be used strictly as a family hauler or long distance trips.

I am holding out to see what will happen to the Challenger vs the possible Barracuda replacement. Either way, I will get a stick. My left leg is gaining weight and needs to get back in shape! LOL

If I can get my Durango converted to a 5or 6 speed stick, I may not bother getting a new vehicle!

Last edited by Kensai; 12-12-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:59 PM
MILLS5DODGING

If you do convert yours over and need some advise ill guide you through what ever you need, i really recommend doing it the pride of the project is all worth it in the end. Having done many chevy 1500 conversions and a ram conversion the rango is an animal of its own and really fun to drive when its done. Mine may not be worth anything to people but to mw i wouldnt sell it for 10 different durangos good luck! and thanks for the positive feedback

Quick Reply: Anyone else converted their Rango to Standard??