1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

CV joint changeout

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Detrik
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV joint changeout

Does anyone have any instructions on how to change the cv joints, preferably with pics, video?
Thanx.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:30 AM
go-part
Former Vendor
Old 12-23-2012, 09:57 AM
coreybv
Veteran

That video pretty much covers it.

I didn't see a skid plate on that Durango. If you have one, you'll probably need to remove it. With it in place there was not enough clearance for me to maneuver the axle out of the truck.

I also found that the axle comes out and goes back in much easier if you turn the steering wheel all the way in the direction of the side you're working on. It may not seem like much, but this is one of those projects where an extra 1/16" or 1/8" to work with makes a ton of difference.

And don't even think about trying to replace just the CV joint itself. Doing the whole axle is much simpler, and it's cheap enough that doing just the joint wouldn't really be much of a financial gain anyway, assuming you could even find one. No place that I looked carried the joint, just the entire shaft.

All in all it's a pretty simple project. I did one this fall at a campground using borrowed walmart tools and a log for a jackstand. Took about 45 minutes including time wasted trying to avoid removing the skid plate.

Last edited by coreybv; 12-23-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:59 PM
ole silver 03
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good info on that video ...

Quick Reply: CV joint changeout