1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4.7 MPG / Performance Quest

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Miguelito1961
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 MPG / Performance Quest

I purchased my “03” Durango 4.7L 4X4 about 12 months ago (48,000 miles) and I’m very happy with the truck! The only issue I really had was poor gas mileage and marginal towing power up medium/steep grades. At the time I was averaging about 11 MPG city. I don’t do any extended driving on the highway, so not sure what that number is?

About 6 months ago I developed a slight squeak in the rear differential which concerned me. A friend at work suggested I change the fluid in both ends which resolved the problem and increased the performance of the truck beyond my expectations. For the past 6 months I've been on a quest to improve the trucks performance and MPG. This is what I've done so far:

1. Changed front and rear differential fluids
2. Changed Transfer Case Fluid
3. Changed Transmission Fluid and filter(s)
4. Changed Oil and Filter (Z-Max Oil Treatment)
5. New PVC Valve (just because)
6. Changed Spark Plugs (Regular Champion OEM Plugs)
7. Changed Thermostat (OEM 185⁰)
8. Flushed Cooling System
9. New brakes, rotors all round
10. Flushed and replaced brake fluid
11. Replaced Shocks (Monroe Reflex)
12. Magnaflow Cat Back
13. Ported 68.5mm “Fastman” Throttle Body
14. K&N Cold Air Intake
15. Superchips 3865 Flashpaq (Mileage tune)
16. 4.10 gears at the end of January (should not affect MPG much driving around town, may even help!?)
17. Computer reset after each performance Mod.
18. Also fixed slack in the throttle cable.
19. Installed Transmission Temp Gauge (To keep an eye on things while towing)

The truck runs fantastic and gas mileage is creeping closer to the 14 MPG (City) mark. The truck holds gear better while towing and navigates the hills fairly well now. The 4.10 gears should do the trick. Don’t know if I increased HP but for a heavy truck it’s respectable. I’ll save roughly $800.00 a year on gas!! All my efforts will pay for themselves in about a year or so; excluding gears this will run me $1,600 for both axles!

Can anyone think of anything easy that I may have missed that would further help my MPG Quest?

Quick Reply: 4.7 MPG / Performance Quest