1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

trailer wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 08:45 AM
darkmangt88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer wiring question

i got a 00 durango. i already have the t-connector wiring kit that gives me the 4 flat wiring for trailers. i am planning on getting the hopkins 47185 adapter kit. i need to be able to use my landlords flatbed trailer and it has the 7 flat connector on it. i know i can plug my existing 4 flat into this adapter to give it the basics, excluding having to attach the adapters ground wire. my question is this, what is the easiest way to hook up the reverse lights wire from the adapter to my durango. i dont absolutely need the backup lights but i would feel better if i could tie in to it so if i tow at night i have the extra light to see what i am doing. is this something anyone has tackled and been successful with?

any input would be greatly appreciated and i thank you for your time for helping me out.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:57 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

look at the wiring diagrams for the tail light connectors in the FSM (links to pdfs of them are over the diy section) and then just tap into the correct wire.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:28 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a diagram that i drew up for myself when i did my trailer brake wiring.. thought it might help someone out someday.

Name:  BrakeControler.jpg
Views: 33383
Size:  61.9 KB

Also, when i tied into the reverse lights i used the Violet/Black wire on the left taillight housing.

Quick Reply: trailer wiring question