1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Trying not to beat a dead horse...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 08:41 PM
tank99Dango
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying not to beat a dead horse...

I have been just generally typing in the issue I am having with my durango, and there seems to be SEVERAL possible answers to this common issue. It all started a few months ago after I had to drive the D for work for a week. I would apply the brakes and the oil pressure would dump, and come right back(1-5 seconds). I replaced the PCV valve, the plastic elbow on the drivers side valve cover(the whole part). I went through and replaced most of the vacuum lines because a few had oil in them. The check gauge light was less frequent, then...it became every time I put my foot on the brakes. So I replaced the oil pressure sending unit, and the MAP sensor, and now it bounces from 0-70psi about every 30 seconds. I bought stuff to do an oil change, and will see if that helps.

Here is my question, is it just a good idea to go ahead and hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge, or should I buy an oil pressure gauge kit...or both? I am not sure how much more money I want to throw at it, but I have to keep it on the road for at least a year. I have even debated on just buying a used motor and throw in it, and rebuild this one and sell it. Again, fearing I will continue to run into the same issue. Just looking for a few opinions. <---don't want to do that...

Old 02-15-2013, 08:46 PM
tank99Dango
Professional

I am also gonna be replacing the spark plugs, if I see anything out of the ordinary I will take pics and post them. I may since I have the extra money, go ahead and replace wires, cap and rotor as well, can't hurt. Also, it seems that the 5.2(and probably 5.9) are vacuum based...could a bad brake booster cause some of this problem as well?

Old 02-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would go ahead and install the mechanical gauge and see what it does... i remember Sharps having the same issues (i believe his was sending units kept failing?) anyways he installed a mechanical gauge and still kept the stock one... maybe he can give you more insight on it..

Old 02-16-2013, 11:33 AM
tank99Dango
Professional

Well, I went and bought a mechanical oil pressure gauge, install took about an hour(my first install). I did the oil change, plugs had some carbon built up, so I replaced them. Oil pressure is staying steady about 70psi, and about 50psi after it gets warmed up... I took it out in the country, hammered on it a few times...and it stayed where it should. So far so good..I may drive it to work a couple days and see how it does...

Quick Reply: Trying not to beat a dead horse...