1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

To Service or not.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 12:03 PM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya. I got a case of the +4 from Dodge and it was $101.

SJ02

Old 03-07-2013, 12:02 PM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran

OK, I have an appointment to drop the Durango off at the shop tomorrow morning! He's going to change the transmission fluid and both filters, the differential fluid, the spark plugs, the PCV valve, and clean the throttle body. Looking forward to feeling the difference after all is complete!

SJ02

Old 03-12-2013, 11:23 AM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran
Exclamation

Got it back and all is well. I checked the atf level and it seems a bit low on the dipstick, but I have a qt of fluid left over, so I'll continue to monitor it and add when needed. It appears to be over the cold hole on the dipstick, but not to the hot hole. This was after driving 70 miles.

SJ02

Old 03-13-2013, 12:28 PM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran

I'll be buying a new K&N replacement airfilter next week. Question.....After the tuneup I just had done and with this filter replacement, should I disconnect the battery to reset the PCM or just leave it?

SJ02

Old 04-04-2013, 03:42 PM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran
Exclamation And the Saga Continues.....

Never got the K&N filter. Just got back from dropping the Durango off at the shop to get the A/C Compressor, Drier, and Expansion Valve replaced, including lines vacuumed and everything. Compressor locked up. This will be the 2nd time in just under 2 years. On the way there, engine light came on. Arrived and cycled the key and noticed a new code.....P0700.

First time I've seen that. I told him about it, so we'll see what other codes come up, if he has the right reader. He's the one that serviced the transmission for me earlier.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:17 PM
tooltime
Veteran

Originally Posted by Old_School
Please DO NOT allow them to talk you into doing a transmission flush.. I am talking about the high pressure one... those will kill a transmission quick... make sure they do a drain and fill only.. There is also a machine that they can hook up to your transmission lines that will collect the oil fluid and replace with fresh as the truck runs.. that process is okay just don't let them do the flush!
I may get a trans flush done if we keep the Durango. So how are you suppose to change it then?

Old 04-04-2013, 09:25 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tooltime
i may get a trans flush done if we keep the durango. So how are you suppose to change it then?

flush =

purge =

Old 04-05-2013, 12:37 PM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran
Exclamation

Just back from visiting the Durango in the shop. Got the codes ran and the famous Evaporative Leaks was present again, along with 2 others. Will have to check the 2 horseshoe shaped hoses again to make sure they aren't cracked. I do have an extra set at the house, so it'll be no big deal, but this will be the 3rd set I've replaced. All from RockAuto. The other code was P0306, Cylinder 6 Misfire. I bought a new spark plug and we'll see if that fixes it. Just had those replaced last month and got them from the dealer, maybe one was bad out of the box? The last code was the transmission one, P0740, Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Circuit/Open. This was the first one that I've seen on it and the trans was just purged when the fluid and both filters were changed last month along with the plugs and differential fluid. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: To Service or not.....