1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2003 Durango stuck in 4x4 light flashes

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 04:01 PM
David DeHaan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Durango stuck in 4x4 light flashes

Hey all,
I know this is covered quite a bit in other threads. But here is my problems and hope you all can help.

Wife hit a "ice speed bump" that was left over from someone plowing their driveway. We believe it was in 2wd, and jumped into 4wd on its own.

Now it doesnt shift back to 2wd and indicator light just flashes. It also flashes when we switch it to the 4wd position. We have the 2wd/4wd Lock switch.

I have checked the fuse for the 4x4 under the hood and that is good.
I went to a local yard, and tried a different TCCM and it did the same.

Hoping the expertise on here will help asap.

Thanks

Old 04-04-2013, 10:45 AM
David DeHaan

I must have said something wrong? Was hoping someone could help me in my next steps to get the 4wd unstuck and working

Old 04-04-2013, 01:10 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't know much about the electronically shifted cases since my 99 has the manual one, but I'll try to help you. From what I understand the light flashes to indicate that it thinks the transfer case isn't being shifted properly or at all. What I'd do first is get under it and have someone try moving the switch and see if it shifts or tries to shift. I think the motor has a sensor (not sure if it's separate or integrated) that tells it where it is. If that failed it probably won't be able to shift properly. It's also possible that the motor has gone bad or isn't getting power too.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:43 PM
David DeHaan

Originally Posted by that_guy
I don't know much about the electronically shifted cases since my 99 has the manual one, but I'll try to help you. From what I understand the light flashes to indicate that it thinks the transfer case isn't being shifted properly or at all. What I'd do first is get under it and have someone try moving the switch and see if it shifts or tries to shift. I think the motor has a sensor (not sure if it's separate or integrated) that tells it where it is. If that failed it probably won't be able to shift properly. It's also possible that the motor has gone bad or isn't getting power too.
Thank you just did that, no noise as coming from transfer area. Unpluged the plug that is there. Some corrison inside plug. Maybe replace plug and the other part it plugs into?

Old 04-04-2013, 04:09 PM
that_guy
Champion

I'd test for power with a volt meter before I went through the trouble of replacing the connectors.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:15 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

try to make a tight turn on pavement if the truck binds up and doesnt want to make the turn you are in 4wd if it doesnt bind then you are NOT in 4wd, which light on the t-case s hifter is flashing?

Old 04-05-2013, 07:24 AM
David DeHaan

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
try to make a tight turn on pavement if the truck binds up and doesnt want to make the turn you are in 4wd if it doesnt bind then you are NOT in 4wd, which light on the t-case s hifter is flashing?
Yes it binds on pavement, that is how we knew it went to 4wd and wont come out. Both lights flash, (2wd and 4wd Lock) when we turn the ****. Also, the service 4x4 light is NOT on. Kinda thought that was weird. Light does work however, when I unplugged the TCCM it came on.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:51 AM
that_guy
Champion

I'm not sure how the mechanism for the motor works on the electronically shifted ones, but you might be able to manually shift it back to 2wd that way you can at least drive it until you get the problem fixed.

Test for power on those plugs when you try shifting.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David DeHaan
Yes it binds on pavement, that is how we knew it went to 4wd and wont come out. Both lights flash, (2wd and 4wd Lock) when we turn the ****. Also, the service 4x4 light is NOT on. Kinda thought that was weird. Light does work however, when I unplugged the TCCM it came on.

You many have to crawl under there and remove the shift motor and manually put it back into 2wd. I think the reason the light is flashing is because you are switching to 4wd and its sensing that its already in 4wd, therefore causing a fault and making the light flash.

I had to do that a few times with the POS explorer we where gracefully blessed to own a few years ago. Also had to replace the motor on it every 10-12 months as it would burn out... that's what turned me off to electronic 4x4. I will admit though i have not came across as many issues with Dodges version. I last straw for this POS was when i got stuck in a 8" snow drift and the motor failed leaving me to dig and crawl under it to manually put it in 4x4.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:57 AM
David DeHaan
Cool

Originally Posted by Old_School
You many have to crawl under there and remove the shift motor and manually put it back into 2wd. I think the reason the light is flashing is because you are switching to 4wd and its sensing that its already in 4wd, therefore causing a fault and making the light flash.

I had to do that a few times with the POS explorer we where gracefully blessed to own a few years ago. Also had to replace the motor on it every 10-12 months as it would burn out... that's what turned me off to electronic 4x4. I will admit though i have not came across as many issues with Dodges version. I last straw for this POS was when i got stuck in a 8" snow drift and the motor failed leaving me to dig and crawl under it to manually put it in 4x4.
Any idea how I make goto 2wd when I take the motor off? Thanks

Quick Reply: 2003 Durango stuck in 4x4 light flashes