1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Strange Noise (I have link to video)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:00 PM
RunnerMatt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Noise (I have link to video)

So, this noise started recently. It's an odd squeaking sound as you can tell from the video. I replaced the belt, idler pulley, and tensioner pulley to no avail. The video was taken after I replaced the parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvSqK...ature=youtu.be

Has anyone experienced this noise before or have any clue as to what it may be? Any help will be appreciated.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

It could still be the belt. I went through 3 or 4 different belts and all of them squeaked after a while. I finally got a goodyear gatorback belt and it's been fine for 4 months/4000 miles.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:58 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the tension spring inside the belt tension assembly. Spray some WD40 inside on the spring and see if it stops. If so then replace the assembly.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:20 PM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by bwdakrt
Sounds like the tension spring inside the belt tension assembly. Spray some WD40 inside on the spring and see if it stops. If so then replace the assembly.

I think it sounds too "fast" to be the tensioner. Try getting a gatorback belt. Mine sounded exactly the same and the gatorback belt fixed it.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:12 AM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran

Could be your idler pulley. I had to replace the one on my Ram yesterday. Close to the same sound. I thought it was the alternator again, but my mechanic used his stethoscope and pinpointed it. Bought a new one, changed it out in about 10 mins and all's good.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:56 AM
RunnerMatt
Rookie

Hey guys, sorry it took a while to get back with a reply. So I've been driving it and it seemed fine, but I still couldn't figure it out...until tonight.

I was driving home and saw that I was starting to overheat, luckily I made it home without it going all the way the the 260 mark. However, got back home to find that my water pump had taken a dump on me as coolant was all over my engine bay.

Looks like I have some fun ahead of me... never replaced this myself before, but lets say I'm not gonna pay someone to do it (again). Sounds like a good project for me.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:36 AM
that_guy
Champion

It's not really that difficult. The 2 hardest things are getting the fan off, and getting that little bypass hose back on.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:27 PM
RunnerMatt
Rookie

Looks like I need to flush my system out too as the water pump had been grinding quite a bit and possibly sending little metal pieces everywhere.

Quick Reply: Strange Noise (I have link to video)