1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

headlight switch lumination

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default headlight switch lumination

I noticed the headlight switch does not luminate at night when I turn it on. My fog light icon luminates but not the switch itself or the icons to indicate for your parking lights or headlights.

I took the dash cover off to further look at the switch assembly and do not see anywhere on the switch or on the dash to indicate there may be a bad bulb somewhere.

So the question is, does the light switch itself luminate when you turn it on?

Old 04-16-2013, 11:56 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensai
I noticed the headlight switch does not luminate at night when I turn it on. My fog light icon luminates but not the switch itself or the icons to indicate for your parking lights or headlights.

I took the dash cover off to further look at the switch assembly and do not see anywhere on the switch or on the dash to indicate there may be a bad bulb somewhere.

So the question is, does the light switch itself luminate when you turn it on?
Yes it is supposed to illuminate. Here's picture of where the bulbs are. The one on the left is for the icons and the one on the right (the bulb is missing) is for the fog light indicator. A 1/4 turn with a small flatblade should release the bulb assembly. They use some goofy little bulb that's wires go down through the plastic piece and then through the bottom of the base to make contact (you'll see what I mean when you get it out). I couldn't easily find the right bulb, so I replaced it with an LED and a resistor (the resistor is needed because 12v is too much for the LED).

Old 04-17-2013, 09:12 AM
Kensai
Champion

thanks guy! Can you give me a part list of the LED and resistor you used? That bulb may not be available and can only get it if you replace the whole switch assembly which I will not do for a bad bulb.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:25 AM
that_guy
Champion

I just used parts that I had laying around, but these look like the same parts I used. I just wired the resistor in series with the led. The resistor will probably have to be on the outside of the switch since it can't really go into the socket with the bulb. I did have to sand the led down some so that it would fit into the socket (it was too wide). I'll try and get some pics of it this weekend.

Green LED
300 ohm 1/4W Resistor

Old 04-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Kensai
Champion

Thanks guy, give me an idea what to look for. If I remember, they may have these LED's for 12v systems so I may not have a need for the resistor.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:35 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There the same one that are in the HVAC panel.. When i replace the ones in my HVAC i used these ~~> http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...panel-led/220/

I just can't remember if there 3,4,or 5mm

Old 04-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Kensai
Champion

thanks Old School! Now I can replace the bulb directly without any retrofitting! Maybe I will get creative and use red led lumination for my headlight switch!

Old 04-17-2013, 02:27 PM
that_guy
Champion

Those look like they'll work for the fog light indicator, but the one that lights up the rest of the switch is a good bit longer to reach a plastic light channel on the inside. I'll get some measurements of them this weekend.

The fog indicator will light up whatever color the led is, but the icons on the rest must have a green tint somewhere because the bulb that was in there to begin with was clear and they still lit up green.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
Those look like they'll work for the fog light indicator, but the one that lights up the rest of the switch is a good bit longer to reach a plastic light channel on the inside. I'll get some measurements of them this weekend.
Does not matter the LEDs are so damn bright it lights it up pretty good.. The LEDs shoot a strait beam so it hits the right stops just right.

Originally Posted by that_guy
The fog indicator will light up whatever color the led is, but the icons on the rest must have a green tint somewhere because the bulb that was in there to begin with was clear and they still lit up green.
That's what i thought when i did the HVAC panel... i thought i was gonna get a really bright green but when i added red to it it showed bright red. the LED's may just be so damn bright that it somehow does not show the filter color.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:46 PM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by Old_School
Does not matter the LEDs are so damn bright it lights it up pretty good.. The LEDs shoot a strait beam so it hits the right stops just right.

That's what i thought when i did the HVAC panel... i thought i was gonna get a really bright green but when i added red to it it showed bright red. the LED's may just be so damn bright that it somehow does not show the filter color.

Now that you mention it I put a white led bulb into the light in my ash tray, and somehow through the green filter it came out blue. I've been wondering if the same might happen with the instrument cluster, then I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of taking it apart to sand the green filter off of it.

Quick Reply: headlight switch lumination