1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Engine revving on its own.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Kelemvor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine revving on its own.

So our 2002 Durango has developed a strange habit of just revving the engine for no apparent reason. I can be in park letting it idle and it will just rev up a bit and go back down. I can have it in drive but be stopped and it will rev a bit.

Just now my wife had it and it revved up and then the engine shut off. She had to start it back up and it started fine.

Anyone know what might be a likely cause of this? I'll probably take it in to have it looked at but wanted to see if there's anything that would normally be the cause of this.

When it revs up, it just for a second or two normally. Almost like I tapped the gas pedal even though I didn't.

One person suggested the Throttle Position Sensor as a likely cause. I'm just wondering if that would probably be it or if there's anything else that might cause it. I'm not sure if there's a way to actually test the sensor and verify it's bad or if it's more of replacing it and then seeing if the problem goes away...

Thanks.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:10 PM
tango357
Default throttle sensor

My 2003 is and was doing the same thing. I changed the throttle positioning sensor and it went away for about 2 weeks.......although I didn't go far. Today I was out and started fine but by the time I got home it started the erratic idle again. I thought I had the problem fixed. This is common to Durangos and I can't believe some expert hasn't been able to tell us what it is.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:17 PM
majerus
Rookie

I am not sure what motors you guys have. On my 5.9 1999 durango I replaced pcv valve and replaced the hose and the issue has gone away. See the attachment

Attached Thumbnails Engine revving on its own.-durango-forum.jpg  
Old 04-26-2013, 12:16 AM
Kelemvor

I have the smaller size engine. 4.7 maybe? Anyway, it doesn't happen all the time for me and hasn't really happened since I posted. It's just so random that I don't know what the real problem is... And since it happens so randomly, I won't know if replacing something makes it go away or if it's just the In Between time until the next one.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:02 AM
majerus
Rookie

I know nothing really about the 4.7 but what I would suggest is look for the hose that pcv goes to unplug it for a moment from the manifold. You should see your symptom immediately.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:11 PM
tango357

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it.

Quick Reply: Engine revving on its own.