1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

A/C efan , Aux Fan Pics

Old 05-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is another good alternative for electric fan cooling. Get a monster mopar cooling fan that came off v8 jeep grand cherokee's. Here are the part numbers:

Chrysler part #'s: Shroud part number =52079489AB, Fan part number=CBG4F250

They used to be super cheap but in recent years the growing popularity of adapting these fans on other vehicles drove up the prices but still much cheaper than aftermarkets and the big plus, you're putting in genuine Mopar parts!

Been reading around the net about the GC fan, I found out that on our 2000 and newer Durango 1st gen models, those that has the existing efan such as myself, they say it is a direct bolt on replacement. Even wiring harness is direct plug and play. No rewiring. PCM still controls the fan.

GC fan is rumored to pull air as good as the Taurus fan.

Here is a link from another durango forum where a user adapted the GC fan and shroud for his Durango/Dakota.

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=100352

Old 05-02-2013, 01:31 PM
majerus
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the fan I am installing does not do the job I will upgrade to a tarus fan. I called the dealer for the heck of it and they wanted $265 dollars just for the fan. :O

Old 05-02-2013, 03:14 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

What year Jeep is that fan from? It does look like the airflow between it and the taurus fan are nearly identical. I'd be interested in seeing the power draw for it also, as well as if it is single or dual speed.

I paid a bit under $80 for mine new online, and it looks like the Jeep fans are similarly priced also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AFTERMARKET-FORD-TAURUS-3-8L-1988-89-90-91-92-93-94-95-RADIATOR-A-C-AC-FAN-NEW-/321061741051?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac0c561fb

Old 05-02-2013, 03:29 PM
majerus
Rookie

I found the fan at summit for about $80. I did some googling and it looks like it draws 60 at start, and it is two speed. Quick question regarding the flex a lite install what do i use for a ignition positive signal?

Old 05-02-2013, 03:45 PM
that_guy
Champion

So that's about the same as the high speed on the taurus fan. I looked on ebay and you can get the Jeep fan and shroud for about $80. Sounds like they'd both work about the same then.

I think I got my 12v ignition feed from one of the fuses in the interior fusebox.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:05 PM
majerus
Rookie

Ill take a look at the fuse panel then.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:56 PM
majerus
Rookie

I was going to start on this today, then it started to rain pretty hard here so I was unable to do much tonight. The one thing I noticed it there is hardly any good mounting locations under the hood for the fan controller, so I might have to fab up a bracket to make it look semi decent.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:58 PM
that_guy
Champion

Maybe on the fender behind the driver's side headlight, that's where I have my relays and driver's side hid ballast (my controller is mounted inside the cab).

Old 05-02-2013, 09:27 PM
majerus
Rookie

that was the spot i was scoping out as well, i wanted to make sure I had access to it in case anything needs added or replaced in the future.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty sure the GC jeep EFan part number is a single speed fan. Amperage draw at power on and run time is similar to the taurus.

I will problaby purchase the jeep fan new. I think if you buy it new, it should not be one of those defectives model that were recalled a while back. Hate to go to a pick and pull and end up with a fan that is one of the recalled ones. My fan sounds like it is starting to have issues (possibly bearings) so I will replace it with a GC jeep fan as the fan and wiring harness will bolt up directly to my existing oem efan system.

I need to find out what the cost is from Hughes to send me a new program for my SCT tuner to change the fan temp on/off as it is coming on way too early (150 degrees). I don't have enough serious mods to have the fan come on that early to keep the engine cool. My engine is running too cold as it is with the fan running early. Rarely reach 180 degrees without a/c which I am guessing it may hurt my mpg.

Ideal temp on/off range maybe 185 on / 175 off

Last edited by Kensai; 05-03-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C efan , Aux Fan Pics