1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

tinted/smoked fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 02:08 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

With tint on them it's impossible for there to be as much shining through as there is with un-tinted ones.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
With tint on them it's impossible for there to be as much shining through as there is with un-tinted ones.
+1

Even the aftermarket smoked taillight that they sell have a clear part over the red lens. Has to be that way to be legal... Only exception i have seen to that is the LED smoked ones.. i guess the LED's are bright enough to get though it bright enough.

Right now PA has a bill there typing to pass that would update the vehicle code.. one part of it would make LED's illegal unless your vehicle came with them from the factory or are in a factory housing.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:35 PM
budah93
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have spyder halo projector headlights that have full smoke and I can be beside a car on the highway and see my hids far longer than you can see any car next to mine

Old 05-21-2013, 11:44 PM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by budah93
I have spyder halo projector headlights that have full smoke and I can be beside a car on the highway and see my hids far longer than you can see any car next to mine
I'm going to go out and guess that you're running 55 watt plug n play hids then. At least they're in projectors so you're not blinding everyone with them.

The tint looks dark because it is blocking light from coming through it. Depending on the tint you're blocking most of your light from getting through. HIDs may be bright enough to shine through reasonably well, but I'm fairly certain that you're parking lights and turn signals would be almost impossible to see. It's going to be the same story for your tail lights too. It's going to be harder or impossible for other cars to see your brake lights and turn signals.

Here's a comparison of headlight outputs from non-tinted (bottom) and tinted lenses (top). These are 35watt hids in proper hid projectors that were retrofitted into the housings.

Name:  IMAG0857.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  12.8 KB

Here are the tinted housings themselves.
Name:  IMAG0819.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  35.3 KB

You'd be able to see much better without the tint and others would be able to see you better.

Originally Posted by Old_School
+1

Even the aftermarket smoked taillight that they sell have a clear part over the red lens. Has to be that way to be legal... Only exception i have seen to that is the LED smoked ones.. i guess the LED's are bright enough to get though it bright enough.

Right now PA has a bill there typing to pass that would update the vehicle code.. one part of it would make LED's illegal unless your vehicle came with them from the factory or are in a factory housing.

Yeah, those tinted housings can be really dangerous. I was driving down the highway the other night and saw a car that I though was driving with no tail lights on in the pitch black. They guy then signaled to change lanes and you could just barely see the turn signals light up. Once up closer I could see that he had tail lights that were tinted to the point that it was pretty much to see that his tail lights were on even in the pitch black. It makes perfect sense why the lawmakers are looking into things like this more.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:26 PM
budah93
Rookie

My tailights are tinted and I can sit my car side by side with my buddies untinted lights and mine are just as bright if not brighter and with the headlights its a 35 watt plug and go

Old 05-22-2013, 07:13 PM
that_guy
Champion

Then his tail bulbs are either dimmer than normal bulbs or yours are brighter than normal bulbs.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:13 AM
budah93
Rookie

I have high performance bulbs for everything but for real do any of you know where to get tinted fog lights or no??

Old 05-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by budah93
I have high performance bulbs for everything but for real do any of you know where to get tinted fog lights or no??

For real.. they don't openly sell them because there dangerous or in most states ILLEGAL.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:55 AM
DyingBreed
Professional

"High performance" bulbs or not. Most of us care about visibility so you're probably gonna have to find and/or do it yourself. I for one tinted my foglights and it dropped funtionality down quite a bit. I will be going back to a clear lense.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:05 PM
budah93
Rookie

The tint may dim my lights down a bit but even with the halogen bulbs I had my headlights came through better than a car next to me. The led parking lights are super bright. and My high performance turn signals come through excellent. As for the tailights they are just as bright as untinted ones. You guys can stop trying to convince me to not do it because i'm going to do it anyway. Remember it's MY durango not any of yours

Quick Reply: tinted/smoked fog lights?