1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Oil pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Mechaniczman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure problem

I know this is common and I searched the forum but every situation I found was a little different than mine so I figured I would make a new post.

I have a 1999 dodge durango with 260,000 miles I had its 3rd oil pump replaced about 10k miles ago and 30 days after they replaced the oil pump it lost oil pressure and then I had the oil pressure sending unit replaced. It was fine but if you got on the gas it would loose oil pressure so I just drove it easy everywere I went but then about 2 months ago I had to slam on brakes and then stomp it to avoid a crash and it lost oil pressure, I shut it off and the oil pressure never came back when tried to start it. I replaced the sending unit by the distributor and it still didnt work so I had it towed to the house were it sat for a month until I tried starting it and it had oil pressure. I let it idle untill it was fully warmed up then tried to drive it around the yard but it lost oil pressure.

I then drained the oil, put the plug back in and put 2 gallons of diesel fuel through the oil fill into the engine and let it soak for a week to try and dissolve any sludge that might be in the oil pan or pick up screen.
Then I drained the diesel out, it looked as nasty as the oil that I had drained. I changed the filter and filled it back up with oil. and started it up, had oil pressure so I let it warm up fully and drove it around the yard and it did fine. I did notice that when I hit the gas the oil pressure guage will actually go up now it never did that before Im not sure if it was the new sensor that I put it or if the diesel helped it some but I took it out on the road I babied it and it did fine but as soon as i hit the brakes to turn down a road and hit the gas again it lost oil pressure. I shut it off let it sit and then it drove home fine and now its been sitting. It will idle all day long with oil pressure but if I get on it down the road it will drop.

What do yall think?

Old 06-04-2013, 01:18 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you are on the gas and it looses oil pressure, do you notice blue smoke out the tail pipe? My only guess would be that you are maybe sucking oil in somewhere. Maybe a bad intake gasket? Have you ever had the plenum plate gasket replaced? thats the main culprit for sucking in oil to the intake.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:57 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

put T fitting in line and install a mecanical gauge, you need to narrow down if its an oil pressure problem or a sensor problem when i had issue w/ oil pressure it was a sensor issue so i just left the mechanical gauge installed instead of replacing pressure sensors on a regular basis

Quick Reply: Oil pressure problem