1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

P 0440 Help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 03:21 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P 0440 Help needed.

I have an '02 Durango SLT 4x4 with the 4.7L and I had just replaced a bunch of bad hoses on my evap canister. Went almost 200 KM without a check engine light, and now it's giving me P 0440, evap sys perf. Since I'm unfamiliar with this evap system, what I am asking is, what should I look at for possibilities? I won't have time to look until tomorrow afternoon, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-06-2013, 08:53 PM
pkucan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this part #46020 in Autozone. It was my solution. For some reason I couldn't paste the link!

Old 06-07-2013, 02:18 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Those are the two hoses I replaced. Solved my problem for about 200 km, then the check engine light came back again with p 0440. Before I replaced those hoses I had p 0440 and p 0456, now it's only p 0440... Is my canister maybe pooched from the gravel it got in it? (One of the old rotten hoses had a pretty big hole in it, enough to collect gravel in it..)

Old 06-07-2013, 09:13 AM
jsnm
Amateur

Check if your truck has the leak detection pump under the battery,they can throw that code over and over.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:56 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Originally Posted by jsnm
Check if your truck has the leak detection pump under the battery,they can throw that code over and over.
Thanks man! Never even thought to look there! I will tear the battery out first thing tomorrow and check everything under there. I checked everywhere else, and all the hoses/connections are good.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:28 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

So I never got around to checking that leak detection pump yet, but the code disappeared for about 1000km. It came back for 200ish km and it just went off again today. Would that be for sure that pump under the battery? I have a spare kicking around, I just try to avoid disconnecting the battery until I know for sure.

I know for sure there's a hose that goes to the bottom of the battery tray for sure. And the battery is supposed to sit on top of that round button looking thing on the tray right? Cuz if so that may just be my problem as the battery I have in there right now is a little oversized and doesn't sit on that button completely like I think it should.

Is it possible that may be my problem as well?

Just trying to get some help narrowing down the possibilities before I tear into it, but at the same time, I guess however I look at it, the battery at the very least, and possibly the battery tray will have to come out

Quick Reply: P 0440 Help needed.