1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

brake piston

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 11:56 PM
phin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake piston

2002 D SLT, Can't seem to push the Lt front brake piston back to put on new brake pads.
IT feels really hard .IS the caliper stuck?. new calipers?. Thanks

Old 06-09-2013, 12:27 AM
Klokworx
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you didnt use a c-clamp or dont have one try opening the bleeder valve and squeezing it with the clamp or wedge a screwdriver in there to pry it out. just watch you dont get brake fluid all over the place, put a clear hose over it

Old 06-09-2013, 02:00 AM
phin

Originally Posted by Klokworx
if you didnt use a c-clamp or dont have one try opening the bleeder valve and squeezing it with the clamp or wedge a screwdriver in there to pry it out. just watch you dont get brake fluid all over the place, put a clear hose over it
Thanks for the reply. I did use a c-clamp,but i'll try opening the bleeder valve and see if i can squeeze itback.Is it easy to put the piston back once you pry it out?. This is unknown
territory for me.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:33 AM
pkucan
Professional

Originally Posted by phin
2002 D SLT, Can't seem to push the Lt front brake piston back to put on new brake pads.
IT feels really hard .IS the caliper stuck?. new calipers?. Thanks
I believe the bleeder screw is the preferred method but I just open the reservoir cap.
Go slow when compressing the piston because the fluid will shoot out of the reservoir. I don't use the bleeder screw because I'll have more problems if I break it off! Beenthere done that!

Old 06-09-2013, 12:17 PM
phin

Originally Posted by pkucan
I believe the bleeder screw is the preferred method but I just open the reservoir cap.
Go slow when compressing the piston because the fluid will shoot out of the reservoir. I don't use the bleeder screw because I'll have more problems if I break it off! Beenthere done that!
I did open the reservoir but it would not move at all.This has never happen to me before
this is not normal and i think i would have to change the caliper .

Quick Reply: brake piston