1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Should I Buy This R/T????

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 04:30 PM
BudR/T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should I Buy This R/T????

I completely agree with keeping service and purchase records. makes a big diff in the long run. I did this with my mustang (even did spread sheets..**** I know) but when I sold it I was able to fetch a premium over what similar vehicles were going for. I do miss my 331 stroker pony with all the goodies, but with 4 wonderful kids just isn't in the cards anymore. However, the '02 Durango R/T I'm considering seems to be able to provide me the best of both worlds.

Bud

Old 09-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My only wish is I wish the R/T's did not come with Full time AWD. I wished it only came with part time AWD with Full time as an option! I miss out on the ability to spin the rear wheels just for thrills!

Right now, when October comes around, I will be ordering the Hypertech III programmer to reprogram the PCM and hopefully give me some better tranny shifts in the power band of the 5.9 engine and be able to use regular unleaded instead of premium that is required of my 2000 Durango R/T.

Old 09-27-2005, 06:11 AM
BudR/T

What are the full benefits of the Hypertech III Programmer? Does it also help with longevity issues with the trans or the opposite?
(Man oh man, listen to me. I haven't even purchased the R/T yet and already I'm inquiring about upgrades.)

Old 09-27-2005, 11:29 AM
Kensai
Champion

From what I hear, it will give you firmer shifts so I think that should help in its longevity. Right now, the stock trannny settings sux, sometimes it upshifts way too early when I am still giving it power and sometimes won't downshift when I push it a little harder to get it to move without going WOT.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like to me that you need a Transgo Shift Kit guys![sm=gears.gif]

Old 09-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Kensai
Champion

Hydra,

I remember you mentioned this kit. 1. How much is it? 2. How difficult to install? 3. How firm will the shift be?

The 3rd question is most important as my R/T is still my family hauler and I don't think wifey will go for it if the have to ride it like riding a bull! haha

Old 09-27-2005, 07:08 PM
BudR/T

ORIGINAL: hydrashocker

Sounds like to me that you need a Transgo Shift Kit guys![sm=gears.gif]
Hmmm..Transgo yeah, yeah...[sm=drooldude.gif] wait a minute, cut it out, let me at least buy the vehicle first.

Old 09-28-2005, 01:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

1. You should be able to have a good trans shop put it in for about $300.

2. I would have a shop put it in although it dose come with instructions. But you want to have your trans Pressure upped in all gears and your trans bands adjusted. I would take it to a shop!

3. It will be the best thing you could do for your trans life. It shifts clean and with no slip. Your stalk shift, strait up sucks trust me. It wont shift too hard at all in less you get on it, and that is what it is built for. Do yourself a favor, throw it in with no question you will love the extra power and performance.

Definitely go Transgo for sure!

Old 09-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Kensai
Champion

Oh man, $300 avg? Hmm I have to ask my personal mechanic if he works on trannys, if not, I'll have to wait. But how much is the Kit itself cost? I'll have to put this as another upgrade in the future! I want my Hypertech programmer first! And not have to be required to use premium fuel anymore!

Old 09-29-2005, 06:23 AM
M Shark
Professional

Hi guys! I read in the thread that there are mandatory recalls for the 2000-2003 4x4 durangos but when I entered my VIN number at the dodge website it stated:

"No Incomplete Recalls or Customer Satisfaction Notifications Exist"

does this mean my truck is OK?