1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Should I Buy This R/T????

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 10:13 AM
BudR/T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Buy This R/T????

Hi new to the site and hopefully am a future owner.

I just test drove a red/burgundy 2002 Durango R/T with 74, 000 miles. all seems ok on it, no leaks, clunks, squeals and such. The current owner is the second owner and does not know if any of the recalls (ball joints, etc.) have been done. Being in Germany and not having the luxury of just being able to drive to the local Dodge dealer, is there a web site that can check for me. I have the VIN.

Thanks all.
Bud

Old 09-26-2005, 11:54 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Should I Buy This R/T????

Go to Dodge website and go to owner section and you will see the recall section. Enter the VIN number and it will tell you if there are any recalls that needs to be done on this R/T.

Here you go, I have the link. Hope this link works.

http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/...m%28%27R%27%29

Old 09-26-2005, 12:39 PM
BudR/T

Awesome, it worked. Recall work on ball joint has not been completed. Now the fun part...if the Chryler dealers over here in Germany can do the work. Thanks for your help Kensai!

Old 09-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Kensai
Champion

ORIGINAL: BudR/T

Awesome, it worked. Recall work on ball joint has not been completed. Now the fun part...if the Chryler dealers over here in Germany can do the work. Thanks for your help Kensai!
If it is a factory recall, they have no choice or they be sued!

Old 09-26-2005, 12:52 PM
Kensai
Champion

Remember, for the Ball joint recall, all 4x4's are mandatory recalls. All 4x2's are inspected and replaced as needed. This is for all 2000-2003 Durangos/Dakotas.

Old 09-26-2005, 01:16 PM
BudR/T

Once again Kensai, thank you. It looks like this R/T would be a mandatory then. Other than that, if you know of any other quirks (or even pluses) to the 2002 R/T, I'd love to hear them so I can make a well informed purchase.

Bud

Old 09-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Kensai
Champion

The most common failure on some of the 2001 and 2002 Durangos and possibly Dakotas would be that crappy resistor pack that controls your blower speeds. If your front blower ever goes out and only get a single speed, the dealer replacement part runs around $13-$16 bucks U.S. currency. Then get a 7mm-8mm socket with extension and possibly a u-joint so you can get to the 2 screws holding the resistor pack in place to replace.

You may also want to monitor and replace these sensors as this durango has 74k miles on it already.

Throttle position sensor - causes random engine surges on idle, or cruise control, etc.

Transmission speed sensor and rear axle output sensor - Power loss problems, speedo issues, ABS lights on, check engine light on, etc...

Make sure all your fluids are changed out at 74k. Don't trust the dealer saying it is already done. Unless they have it written on paper, make sure they have the fluids changed on the tranny, transfer case, front/rear axles.

I screwd up and did not change out the fluids on my transfer case! 64k miles and the oil is black! Transfer case uses ATF3 tranny fluid.. Not the usual gear oil I first thought. That's what I get for not reading my Manual! haha. I'll never assume anything again. here are the fluid change intervals if you do not have the manual.

Transmission fluid - 37k

Transfer case - 30k

Axles - 65k

Engine Oil - 3-5k

Coolant - 36 months

Spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor - 24k-36k

Air filter - 3-5k

I am using a K&N OEM replacement filter. Gave me 1 mpg better gas mileage.

Other than that, this Durango is rock solid.

Old 09-26-2005, 01:45 PM
Kensai
Champion

Bud,

If you want to know more about the ball joint recall and its potential safey hazard issue it poses, please read Red Rider Bob's post about the ball joint recall. It is stickied on top of the durango section and here is the link to it.

https://dodgeforum.com/m_119872/tm.htm

Old 09-26-2005, 01:51 PM
BudR/T

Thanks, all the little items you listed I can do myself no problem. I'm potentialy purchasing from the current owner and not a dealer. He just had new plugs, wires, cap, rotor and oil changed. (saw service receipts) I know the trans and diff fluids were not changed, so I will use that as one of my price negotiating tools. Hoping to get him down to $15,000 for it.

Bud

Old 09-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Kensai
Champion

I bought my 2000 Durango R/T with 21k miles used back in 2001. I am the second owner of this R/T and just turned over 62k at present. Learning from my past experiences with purchasing new/used cars, I now keep a black book on this guy since the first day I bought it. This black book has all my records, receipts, etc. Basically the entire maintenance/repair history of this Durango. If I ever sell it (not anytime soon), it'll be a big plus for the next owner to show that you really took care of your investments.

Plus, my Durango is always garaged. Luckily for me, the place where I work, I have no choice but to park in a garage so it is protected from the outside elements. Only out in the sun/rain, etc when going from point a to point b or out shopping eating.