1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

EVAP Smoke Test Cost Estimate?

Old 07-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Papa C Gregz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVAP Smoke Test Cost Estimate?

I drive a 2002 Durango SLT 4X4 4.7L V8 and the engine light came on saying that I have a "small leak" in the evap system. This is the second time the code has shown it's ugly face in about a week. From what I've been reading, taking it to a shop to have a smoke test done on it seems to be the best option. That or making your own smoke tester, but sadly, I do not have the materials or the time to make one at the moment. Is this test going to cost a fortune, or just a couple bucks, like $20 or $30?

Btw, I am new to the forums here but I will try my best to keep the newbish language down to a minimum haha. Thanks guys!

Old 07-14-2013, 05:09 AM
pkucan
Professional

If you went to a dealer you could probably only get a glass of water for that price. Crawl under the vehicle, you can't miss it. This is what fixed my leak:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...archTerm=hoses

Old 07-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Papa C Gregz

Haha very true. Are these hoses coming directly from the evap module/box?

Old 07-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pkucan
If you went to a dealer you could probably only get a glass of water for that price.
I was going to say, it depends on if you where planning to take it to a dealer or finding a local mechanic.... With the state of the economy as it is now there is always mechanics willing to do side work for dirt cheap as most people just can't afford to pay normal shop costs for things.

Perfect example.... I recently had my transmission die. I had a replacement in the garage lined up to to swap out with. Just for shyt's and giggles i called the dodge dealer to find out what it cost to get it taken care of.. a whopping $3200!! When the guy quoted me that i asked him if that included all the lube needed....

Old 07-14-2013, 02:23 PM
Papa C Gregz

Right, I wasn't planning on taking it to a dealer but like Old School said, taking it to a local mechanic. I'm going to call around a little bit tomorrow and see what I can do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EVAP Smoke Test Cost Estimate?