1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Proper 46RE Overdrive operation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 12:13 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

55 seems awfully high, but then again the 45rfe is a mystery to me. I paid attention to mine today and at light throttle speeding up from a stop to 45mph it kicked into overdrive at 33mph and tc-lockup when backed off the gas to maintain 45mph.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:17 AM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

55 is high?? That's perfect. In my Titan I always had to lock it into 4th gear (flow thru center console with shifter) when driving around town. Otherwise OD kick in at 45 and it was a pain having the shifting all the time. But that's mostly because I have a heavy foot. Three sets of tires in 50k miles to be exact,,

In town with your truck it would drive me nuts. Your truck doesn't produce nearly enough power to justify OD at 33mph. Wayyyyyy too much wear an tear and un-needed shifts.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:52 AM
that_guy
Champion

It's only making constant shifts if you keep playing with the pedal. And even when I do need to speed up it usually doesn't have to change gears much, that's the nice thing about low end torque.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:25 AM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah if you're a feather on the pedal lol

What are the rpms at 33 mph? I wouldn't even think that's possible to get into OD at the slow of speed. Unless its some sort of funky gearing.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:36 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PublicHair
Interesting. Isn't the Tv cable responsible for shift points?
In the 46RE, (as I understand) the TV is only for the 3 speed part. The OD in the tail cone is electronic shift. The TV is the mechanical input for the 3 speed shift part. The computer monitors the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) located on the TB. Besides whatever TPS info is needed for motor operation, that info apparently also contributes to the OD shift decision. Makes sense to me.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:39 AM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by PublicHair
Yeah if you're a feather on the pedal lol

What are the rpms at 33 mph? I wouldn't even think that's possible to get into OD at the slow of speed. Unless its some sort of funky gearing.
I wouldn't really call it being a feather on the pedal, it was just calm acceleration. Now if I step on it I'll still be in first gear at 35mph. As for the rpms, while just maintaining 35mph on a fairly flat road it's right above 1000 rpm, but the torque converter isn't locked up then so it will still allow up to around 1800 rpm to speed up some.

Originally Posted by JeeperDon
In the 46RE, (as I understand) the TV is only for the 3 speed part. The OD in the tail cone is electronic shift. The TV is the mechanical input for the 3 speed shift part. The computer monitors the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) located on the TB. Besides whatever TPS info is needed for motor operation, that info apparently also contributes to the OD shift decision. Makes sense to me.
That sounds right to me.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:21 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

correct the TV cable controls the 3 speed hydraulically controlled 'drive' portion of the transmission, the RE denotes electronic control, in this case of the overdrive module, there are other hydraulic valves controlled electronically too, but it is mainly the OD module that engages electronically

Quick Reply: Proper 46RE Overdrive operation?