1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Changing Fans

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 03:09 PM
Al
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Fans

I have a 99 Durango and Im changing the water pump and radiator. But I've heard you can increase your horsepower and engine/radiator runs so much cooler. Does anyone know if its possible to change from a clutch fan to an electric one?

I've heard that its possible but where can you find them?

Can any help me with this?

Old 09-29-2005, 04:48 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Changing Fans

Several factors are involved that you need to do in order to switch to a electric fan. I done this on my Toyota truck years back.

You will need to get at least the same size diameter electric fan as your clutch fan. Getting one too small will not move enough air. if there is anoth space within the fan shroud, you can put smaller fans to equal one big fan.

You will need to install an electric thermostat which will turn on the electric fan when it reaches a certain temperature threshold that you can set yourself.

With this in mind, you should not have any problems.

One thing you can do is add electric fans to supplement your clutch fan. I re-installed my clutch fan as my single electric fan was too small and not adequate enough to move air. But instead of a clutch fan, I bought a flex fan. Basically the higher rpm's the engine runs, the pitch of the fan blades will change to take the load off the engine. So basically when it is idling, the pitch will be maximized to move air. Then install the electric fan between the radiator and the clutch fan if there is clearance, if not, you can mount the electric fan from the front if there is clearance. Should be plenty for 1st generation Durangos and 2nd Generation Dakotas. I also, setup my electric fan to come on anytime the A/C comes on so I can maximize my A/C also.

Quick Reply: Changing Fans