1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Durango 2002 5.9L with no start/ Fire

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 03:34 PM
larryoinvirginia
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango 2002 5.9L with no start/ Fire

1st post to this forum, and having browsed the questions, I seem to have a common problem..
Im experiencing a no start condition , and seemingly a partial spark at coil if this makes sense..I have so far replaced Crank sensor, Cam sensor, Distributor cap and rotor button, and just had the PCM refurbed ..Voltage at sensors reads 5.11 at all..crank, cam. tps, map..im getting a positive pulse signal to gray wire at coil using a light , but no voltage at green/orange wire at coil..when I use a probe light, with harness connected, i get a pulsing light at coil to distibutor wire, at distributor side..Have replaced ASD Relay..cant seems to get voltage at the power distribution box at the number 87 pin with the key on..have disconnected the two grounds from C1 block and cleaned and reattached, also cleaned the ground locations from harness to block...

Im not an electrical genious..im reading and trying things as I go..Im hoping someone with more knowledge can point out a few tips as to where to look for the no fire from ASD to coil...im really hoping its not the PCM as I said..I literally just got it back and all the test receipts show good..

Thanks in advance
Larry

Old 08-18-2013, 03:57 PM
winkie74
Professional

With the key in the on position you should have voltage at both sides of the coil. Unplug harness from coil and hi tension wire from coil to distributor and do an omh test from coil positive to negative. You should get about 1.1 ohms. If all else tests good then its probably the pcm. When it comes to this stuff get quality new parts, don't cheap out and get a reman, I speak from experience.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:06 PM
larryoinvirginia

yeah..im starting to wonder for sure..lol..silly question..even though this pcm was remanned, and supposedly programmed with my Vin and mileage..is there something else i should do when installing?? also..if i had to buy a new new one..is this a dealer item only?

Old 08-18-2013, 06:05 PM
winkie74
Professional

I've had 6 reman pcm and they were all junk. Finally got a dealer one with 50k mile warranty. Cardone makes a new one for about $400 and the dealer will program for around 100, my dealer charged 800 for their pcm programed and installed.

Quick Reply: Durango 2002 5.9L with no start/ Fire