1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Tie Rods- Paying garage vs. DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 01:26 PM
bcduffel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tie Rods- Paying garage vs. DIY

I need to replace, at least, the front driver tie rod. Anyone have any experience taking it to a garage to have this done, or done it themselves?

I'm mainly concerned with cost/time/headache magnitude of each option.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Danny in CO
Rookie

Tie rod ends are fairly easy to change. There is just the nut and cotter pin to take off and then unscrew from tie rod. The only (sometimes) hard part is getting the tie rod end loose from the spindle frame. The tie rod end is tapered. I have had good luck after taking the nut off by holding a big hammer on one side of the spindle frame (I can't remember the correct name) and then hitting the other side with another hammer. As yet this has always worked for me. Another option is to use a pickle fork.

Once the tie rod end is loose, unscrew from tie rod. Count the number of turns and screw the new one in the same number of turns. If you don't get it correct it will throw off the alignment.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:45 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bcduffel
You're leaving out skill/tools/ability/attitude. What is easy for some is hard for others. To me, doing a tie rod end is like getting the mail. To others it's like, well, really hard.

If you're asking, it's probably going to feel tough ('there will be blood', on your knuckles anyway). But you have to ask yourself, do you want to go through the rest of your life paying others to do things? I'd rather buy tools.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:26 PM
pkucan
Professional

Originally Posted by bcduffel
I need to replace, at least, the front driver tie rod. Anyone have any experience taking it to a garage to have this done, or done it themselves?

I guess the main question is why are you replacing, from what I assume is the outer tie rod? Have you checked the inner tie rods? If you have new tires you really need to get it aligned after replacing tie rods. Not sure what year you have but best guess is that if they have not ever been replaced all your tie rods are probably worn out. Replacing them is not rocket science but you have to have the tools. A dealer will probably charge you more than the truck is worth. Find a reputable mechanic in your area to do the labor and if he doesn't have an alignment machine take it to a tire place. Good luck!

Old 08-28-2013, 06:04 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Counting the turns isn't always sufficient because replacement tie rod ends may or may not be made to the exact specifications that the oem part was. It's always a good idea to use a scale to measure the distance from some reference point on the tie rod itself to the center of the tie rod ends bolt, that way you know the alignment will be spot on.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:19 AM
bcduffel

@Danny in CO thanks for the walkthrough! That seems like a cake walk compared to the brake job I did on my Volvo, so I think I'll give it a shot myself.

@JeeperDon That is indeed the question, and I paying people to do things for me when I could learn to do it myself

@PkUcan and @That_Guy I will probably return it to the tire center I bought my tires and lifetime balance and rotation from to have them realign so that I know it's done correctly. Tires are almost brand new, and I'd like them to stay even

Quick Reply: Tie Rods- Paying garage vs. DIY