1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

46re governor solenoid testing

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 PM
jpuseyjr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46re governor solenoid testing

2000 Durango, 5.9, 4X4, 46re, 150K (easy miles)

The short of it -Front Pass. brakes started to drag, got hot but not too bad, limped it home 2 1/2 miles, slowly stopping every 1/2 mile. (no more than 30MPH)
After fixing - went for a drive and seems to be starting in 2nd gear shifting into third but no OD or Lockup. No matter if I shift from the column 1 up to drive. No difference between 1 and 2 - only 2 to drive and then no lock up or OD. 2500 RPMS at 55MPH. No slipping that I can feel. But when starting feels like it a bit because its in 2nd gear.
Anyways - start super stupid simple - dropped pan - no parts - very little residue on magnet, atf 4 in decent shape. Drained cleaned and removed the Governor solenoid - It activates when you give it the 12 V its looking for but by physically blowing into it, it doesn't appear to be stopping any air (hence fluid). Do these solenoids have multiple ports to divert the fluid based upon activation? Pic attached
I am just wondering if there is a way to see if it a sealing the way it should? The solenoid is activating but air still moves through it. Tomorrow I am going to see if I can find a way to isolate the ports and see how the air moves through - but right now it seems it doesn't stop anything. Unless it is diverting it to the other holes - and is it supposed to.
Haven't pulled anything else yet and to my knowledge there are no codes that I know of - I have a code reader - pocket scan tool but I don't know if it reads the tranny codes.
Other than the not shifting at all - everything is smooth and operational with no noise.
Anybody with experience with these things?

UPDATED UPDATED - see next post ---- with image
thanks

Last edited by jpuseyjr; 09-17-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:56 PM
jpuseyjr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updated...............

Made my own manifold for pressure testing and this is what I have come up with - see image - red lines indicate the homemade manifold I used for testing. I tested the inner section first - then plugged the end of the inner and then tested the outer section so I could isolate each section and the image indicates flows.

Anyone on this..........

Attached Thumbnails 46re governor solenoid testing-46re-gov-sel-airflow.jpg  
Old 09-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My tranny was doing the same thing randomly. Start off in 2nd gear from stop. But if I manually shift from 1st gear, it will launch in first gear. Thinking I may have a sticky governor, I got it replaced on my next fluid change. Costed me around $118 bucks. But the random issues with launching in 2nd gear from a stop is all gone.

Quick Reply: 46re governor solenoid testing