1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 11:26 PM
AppelH
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good deal?

Quick question. Someone in my area is selling a 2001 RT for dirt cheap because reverse went out. They say all forward gears work fine. With limited information, does anyone know if what kind of problem this might be having, or if its an easy fix? If it's easy, I may be tempted into buying it and reselling, or getting rid of mine.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:24 AM
dxloat
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to mine and I replaced the trans with a lower mileage used one. I felt tearing apart the trans myself to be outside my capabilities.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:57 AM
AppelH
Captain

Hmm. Unfortunately doing that wouldn't give me the benefit I was hoping for

Old 09-18-2013, 10:57 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Factor in maybe $2500 for someone doing a normal trans rebuild, look at the rest of the deal, then decide. Use the rebuild cost as a bargaining point. Don't let seller convince you trans prob is a small thing.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AppelH
Quick question. Someone in my area is selling a 2001 RT for dirt cheap because reverse went out. They say all forward gears work fine. With limited information, does anyone know if what kind of problem this might be having, or if its an easy fix? If it's easy, I may be tempted into buying it and reselling, or getting rid of mine.

the reverse clutches and/or band are probably toast. To someone who knows what they are doing, they could be replaced but i would not recommend it. If your able/willing to pull and reinstall a complete trans yourself , and you can find a lower miles trans or a good deal on a rebuild then it may be worth it and be a good deal as you could save a lot on labor costs. Also, there is a guy here on DF that had the same issue with a RAM and it turned out to be a leaky reverse servo seal. Replaced the servo and did a band adjustment and all was well. So its a big gamble, it could very well be something simple or it could mean a rebuild but, most of the time it is rebuild time.

When my truck did the same thing i called around and weighed my options. Having a shop do it all was in the $2500 range, used one out of a wrecker i was quoted $125 and that was without a TC, and rebuilding it myself i have around $400 tied into it. There is also a transmission shop online that sells rebuild transmissions for around $800 but you have to also pay the truck freight charge to have it delivered.

Last edited by Old_School; 09-18-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2000 R/T reverse went out. cannot be repaired and transmission needs to be completely rebuilt. Ended up getting a Fastman Tranny replacement cheaper than having it rebuilt from Dealership. All is better than OEM now! LOL

Old 09-18-2013, 03:49 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensai
My 2000 R/T reverse went out. cannot be repaired and transmission needs to be completely rebuilt. Ended up getting a Fastman Tranny replacement cheaper than having it rebuilt from Dealership. All is better than OEM now! LOL
Not always the case... i have seen them repaired in this situation but not something i would always advise to do. Unfortunately transmissions are something you never know what your getting into till you get them apart and inspect them.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:06 PM
AppelH
Captain

Yea I decided against it. It's a pretty nice looking rig, but I can't take the risk right now.

Quick Reply: Good deal?