1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Magnaflow muffler size

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 12:00 AM
AppelH
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magnaflow muffler size

Somebody on here is a big advocate for the magnaflow mufflers, but I can't remember who.

I am going to be getting one here soon, had some questions. Our trucks needs a center in/offset out with a 2.5" diameter correct? And each configuration has about ten different case sizes; does the case size affect sound/loudness? There is diff in price between them, but I can't have too loud of an exhaust anymore, just want that nice rumble.

And those of you who have aftermarket y-pipes, where did you get them? Are they a waste until more supporting mods are added?

Old 10-26-2013, 12:08 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you just want to replace the muffler, then yes, the OEM pipes are 2.5 in and out. But, the Magnaflow full cat back is a 3" kit that mates with the 2.5 output from the cat. Here is what I put in mine. I got the front half from Summit Racing, $280 or so. The rear came from O-Reilly's Auto Parts, $432 (oddly, $100 cheaper than anywhere else)....

Last edited by JeeperDon; 10-26-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:34 AM
AppelH
Captain

Looks snazzy for sure. Did you know notice any gains with the full system? From what people have said, our exhaust is pretty open with the exception of the y pipe choke point.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:48 AM
dxloat
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with 3" cat back Dynomax Ultra Flo round stainless center in center out and it fits fine so I don't think you have to have center in offset out. Mine was pretty cheap compared to some at $240, but if you want something quiet this isn't it.
Don, I gotta say that Magnaflow sure is sexy compared to my bargain rack Dynomax.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:55 AM
JeeperDon
All Star

Originally Posted by AppelH
Looks snazzy for sure. Did you know notice any gains with the full system? From what people have said, our exhaust is pretty open with the exception of the y pipe choke point.
I had a Fastman TB and better intake for 10 years and depended on the R/T exhaust to handle it. This is way better. I already knew a larger exhaust would help since I got a good power kick when I went from 2.25" to 2.5" on my Jeep (YJ with GM 4.3 V6 Vortec). Fuel mileage definitely went up on the D with the better breathing, 6% or so.It must help mid-range a lot too since there is much more power and a 10% fuel economy improvement when I tow my 6000 lb combo of Jeep and trailer.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:40 AM
AppelH
Captain

What's the noise level like. I had a flow master 40 series on my ram before I sold it, that one would be too loud or me now. Sounded awesome though

Old 10-26-2013, 12:19 PM
JeeperDon
All Star

What's the noise level like?
It's a tad louder than the OEM R/T exhaust. It sounds really nice in my opinion, there, but not in your face. I notice the exhaust note now more than before, but once at speed on a road there is no constant drone, at least not to a level than can't be easily ignored. I like it, don't regret the choice at all in any aspect.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:23 PM
AppelH
Captain

That sounds like what I'm looking for. Now to decide on a case size

Old 10-26-2013, 01:24 PM
JeeperDon
All Star

That sounds like what I'm looking for. Now to decide on a case size
I wrote above about my experience with a full exhaust swap. I really (really!) doubt you will see any of my changes in performance or mileage if you just swap in a new muffler part. I'd only swap a muffler if it was leaking or beat to crap or rusted out. If you want truly noticeable performance and mileage improvements, you have to do more than a muffler. Good luck.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:34 PM
AppelH
Captain

Originally Posted by JeeperDon
I wrote above about my experience with a full exhaust swap. I really (really!) doubt you will see any of my changes in performance or mileage if you just swap in a new muffler part. I'd only swap a muffler if it was leaking or beat to crap or rusted out. If you want truly noticeable performance and mileage improvements, you have to do more than a muffler. Good luck.
Oh yea I understood that. For now I am happy with the better sound, I don't expect really any gains. I would like to get a full exhaust but the funds say no.
I will be upgrading things slowly, will open up the intake and exhaust, then go for the other stuff after that.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow muffler size