1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Parking rod issue on valve body

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 07:28 PM
dustinbice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking rod issue on valve body

so it al started with the parking rod snapping close to the sprag so I tried with wireless camera and a magnet for a few hours to get it out threw the valve body.... no success so I was told by local rednecks to remove drive shaft/s front and back along with t-case now Ive been informed to get to the sprag paw I need to remove the od unit no I am doing so I have all the bolts removed and it wont pull off the trans im not binded anywear something is stopping it in the tranny and cant figure out wat it is any help?

2000 Durango 5.9 slt 4x4

Old 11-04-2013, 05:45 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dustinbice
so it al started with the parking rod snapping close to the sprag so I tried with wireless camera and a magnet for a few hours to get it out threw the valve body.... no success so I was told by local rednecks to remove drive shaft/s front and back along with t-case now Ive been informed to get to the sprag paw I need to remove the od unit no I am doing so I have all the bolts removed and it wont pull off the trans im not binded anywear something is stopping it in the tranny and cant figure out wat it is any help?

2000 Durango 5.9 slt 4x4
All you have to do to get the rod out of the sprag is jack the rear wheels up and rotate the driveshaft while pulling the rod till it pulls out.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:34 AM
dustinbice

well we tried that problem is the rod broke 3in. from the sprag so pulling it out is not a option, simply because theres nothing I have to grab ahold of the rod to pull it free from the sprag any suggestions?

Old 11-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dustinbice
well we tried that problem is the rod broke 3in. from the sprag so pulling it out is not a option, simply because theres nothing I have to grab ahold of the rod to pull it free from the sprag any suggestions?

In that case you must remove the overdrive unit.... once you get all the bolts out, and make sure you get them all out (iirc there is 7 or 8 of them) and some are hidden, you may have to push up on it and wiggle is while pulling it off..

Old 11-05-2013, 01:56 AM
dustinbice

well I did that. I finnaly got the od unit off and once off it was cake getting the rod out it took me 3 days to get everything off drive shafts, T-case, Od-unit. but yet took me 5 hours to put it all back now im just waiting for the morning to get the new park rod. after that put valve body back put tranny pan back up hook up shift link and add some T fluid. and I should be ok. lol ill have pics of Durango soon was looking for some performance tips if anyone knows any I done have cold air- and bigger injectors my exhaust is none existant realy cuts off right past the catalytic converter don't get me wrong it makes the 5.9 RUMMBLE but it smells bad with windows down any performance advise would be helpful not just in the stuff I mentioned just any little tip to gain the extra pony's

Quick Reply: Parking rod issue on valve body